Advanced Placement

Would you let your children take AP classes to get college credit (only if they get an A) or do you think that they should wait?

malexander2009

Asked by malexander2009 at 5:47 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I took AP classes and yes I would let my kids. It wasn't based on my A in the class that I got college credit...it was based off of a test kinda like a meap. I really enjoyed my classes and learned a lot.
    mommy_of_3kids

Answer by mommy_of_3kids at 5:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Find out if the school your child plans on attending accepts AP credits. But AP courses are a great option for the children that do qualify for them. But if their grades aren't such that the automatically qualify for AP - do NOT sign a waver to get them into the course.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:00 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I'd let mine.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:23 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I took AP classes when I was in highschool, so I'd definitely let them. I went into college as a 2nd semester freshman (missed being a sophomore by 3 credits!), but that was one less semester by parents had to pay for! (well, minus the $80/test they had paid for the AP exams - but WAY less than paying for a college course)

Answer by missanc at 7:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I took college credit classes and it paid off!! it's really a good idea to push them to do good in these classes. It will save them time once they get in college. Highly suggest it! :)
    oliviahw

Answer by oliviahw at 9:04 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Actually college credit for AP classes is not related to the grade; it is dependent on the score of the AP exam, and whether or not the university accepts that particular AP credit.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:17 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes I would let my child take an AP class. It only benefits them in the future
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 11:12 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would let them so they could get a head start on college and save some money.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes I would
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:03 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I like the idea of getting college credit for some HS courses.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011