Vomiting-how long before they do something about it?

My 4 month old has been vomiting since Friday. He cannot eat more than 2 oz without puking, projectile puking. He's had diarrhea the last 2 days. I've taken him in and they just say "keep him hydrated." Well that f-ing easy considering the poor thing can't eat. I know Pedialyte can't be healthy for too long. Have any of you gone through this? He is not dehydrated, his mouth is wet. He has no fever, he's smiling, he's not lethargic so basically they don't care. If you have gone through this, what'd they do for you?

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 12:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I would think that if you have a 4 month old that has been vomiting since Friday someone would be concerned about it. You're right, it's not easy to keep him hydrated if he keeps vomiting. And at such a young age I would think the Doctor would be more concerned.

Make someone do something. This is not good for the baby.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• you can give him some jello water that might help if not and he is still puking take him to the er they can give him a pill that disolves it works really quick
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I was going to suggest the er too. They have a pill that dissolves that stops puking, and I must say, it's amazing! My son was VERY good at puking and I took him in convinced that that wasn't going to work. In a matter of minutes it stopped. Either way, it's not healthy to throw up like that. It tears up the esophagus and the lining of the stomach.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• there is also a suppository they give for kids not holding anything down but I'm not sure at what age they give it. Try the er. 2 days of puking isn't good for any one much less a baby.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'm going to take him back to the ER today. I took him Sat and they did nothing for him. I'm going to sit there until they treat him and not move until they do something :)
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I took him back last night and demanded they do something, they gave him some anti-nausea medicine. He threw up this morning but not since, so hopefully he's on the up and up
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• He will not starve, keep up on the liquids pedialyte, gatoraid etc. Try a BRAT diet (bananas, rice cereal, applesauce and toast. The pill will help for awhile then wear off.
    candiccane

Answer by candiccane at 11:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my son's dr. gave him suppsitories that stop the vomiting granted a lot of them got pottied right back out but it dose stop the vomiting i suggest going in and straight up asking for suppositories to stop the vomiting i had two boys puking all over my house the day i got them and ill tell you it was the best relief i ever had when i gave them the suppostiories

i didn't have a clean towel in my house for over a week before them =)

good luck
    rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My daughter had something similar. .Since it was caused by a virus, there was nothing they COULD do, medicine works against bacteria, not virus's. Symptom control was all I could do to help her. Pedialyte works for restoring her eletrolytes to keep her from being dehydrated, which means it's working well since she's not. She would have to go through serious weightloss before her not eating mattered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2008