Once saved Always saved, right?

I was reading my Bible and came across a Scripture that really upset me, as I was Always taught that once you're saved you don't have to worry about it when you die, because you will go to Heaven.  After reading these verses, I was shaken to the core, because God says, plain as day, a person can be saved, filled with theSpirit and walk for a long time in the Faith; then decide to walk away from God and deny Jesus and then, there is No Hope for that person to come back to repentance.........Were you taught this and if so how do we resolve this??   Hebrews 6: 4-6

turtldov

Asked by turtldov at 6:19 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up with that understanding of salvation. It's a gift, freely given and you are completely free to give it back through your actions
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I was taught being saved wasn't just the prayer, you had to act like it everyday and live for God everyday. It isn't something you say and when your 12 and at church camp and your good for the rest of you life, you have to continually live for God.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• How can you resolve it? Let the person be. If you believe in free will, it was his/her decision to make.

There are quite a few atheists in the world that were once saved and believed.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You can lose your salvation by turning away from God.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Hebrews is in the NT.

The NT does not cancel out the OT, but fulfills it. (Matthew 5:17) The NT brought the Story of Redemption to completion, it did nothing to cancel it out.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 11:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think the real question is... If they turn away are they saved anymore or if they can turn away were they ever truely saved to begin with? This has been asked many times and I think it's one of those subjects that only God truely knows because he's the only one that can see and weigh peoples hearts. All I know is I can hear my Fathers voice now and I will never run away or turn away again.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 7:02 PM on May. 31, 2011

• No, I was never taught that fairy tale, and it is absolutely not true. You can choose to walk away from God, and then you are no longer "saved". The idea though is that once you are truly "saved" that you will not want to turn away from Him. As far as what to do to resolve it? I don't think it needs resolving. That is something between the individual and God. I believe that at the time we die, God will give us one last chance to say we believe or we do not. I have a huge problem with the idea that God will send a bunch of good people, who spent much of their lives helping others, to hell just because the didn't believe in Him; yet he will allow murderers and child molesters into Heaven just because they found Him and proclaimed Him as their Lord and Savior. I just don't get that concept.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:29 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I believe there is a difference in "backsliding" if you will, and absolute apostasy. Backsliding is a danger for all who drift from the faith, but apostasy doesn't occur without a constant hardening of the heart. Individual apostasy happens when those who once had a saving experience with Christ deliberately and continually harden their hearts to the Spirit's voice, continue to sin willfully, and refuse to repent and return to God. When a person reaches that point, repentance may no longer be possible.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:12 PM on May. 31, 2011

• turtldov, I still think there is nothing to resolve. People will do what they wish, and there really isn't anything we can do about it. Their choices, their relationship with God, is theirs to deal with, not ours. Then again, I don't believe in Christianity in the same way you do. It is not for me to say what one person should or should not do in terms of their personal relationship with God, and their salvation. The best thing I can do is worry about my own, and hope for the best. Everyone else should probably do the same. If we focus too much time and energy on other people's salvation, we lose track of our own, and we risk not living the way we are supposed to live. JMHO....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Once Saved Always Saved is so not all Biblical! In Ezekiel 18:24 God, Himself says, ""But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, he will die."

Even Paul spoke of his own ability to "become disqualified" (1 Corinthians 9:27)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 11:43 PM on May. 31, 2011