What is a good reason for leaving a job?

If you got wrongfully terminated what is a good reason to tell the potential employer why you got terminated? By the way this person is not me. I'm asking for some else. The employee was a great employee with no write up and had great sale productivity but the boss fired him because he wanted to get his friend in your position. so pretend this is you. And your boss just said, Sorry but this is not working out your fired, etc. And you found out later the real reason why you were fired by the big mouth that took your place?

Nancygray2

Asked by Nancygray2 at 6:51 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• Laid off
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would tell the truth; however, I think there are a few stops before I get to my next potential employer like the Fair Labor Board. If I have good reviews and sales, the termination can be challenged and the old employer forced to write a positive letter of reference. I don't need to make something up.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:54 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The best reason for leaving a job is because you found a better one. In this case, I don't know what to suggest besides the truth. That way he doesn't need to remember what lie he told.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Tell the truth. Be open and honest about the situation and a potential employer will be more likely to hire you. If they feel like you are trying to hide something, then they won't buy the "wrongful termination" bit.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:59 PM on May. 31, 2011

• He needs to tell the truth without sounding bitter or speak badly of his former boss. That's a tough spot.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Employers don't believe the true reason. I'm going to tell you the reason he got.

This was a store Manager that was with a costumer he suddenly got pushed by a shoplifter than an employee was trying to apprehend and the Store manager turned around and asked what was going on? The employee explained. Manger followed procedure; called the police etc. Police took the shoplifter. A week later Manager had to go to the court about shoplifter and shoplifter plead guilty. Manager went back to work with the boss waiting there for him to tell him he was fired for apprehending a shoplifter. Potential employees don't believe the truth. So he needs another reason So far Jesse123456 you have the best way to solve this issue.
    Nancygray2

Comment by Nancygray2 (original poster) at 7:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• How long ago did this happen? I have seen the same thing said about certain big box home improvement stores that have a policy of not apprehending shoplifters. I still think that being honest is the best route.

On the flip side though, if the company policy was to not apprehend shoplifters then it might look bad that he didn't follow company procedure.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:18 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The company implemented the "Not apprehending" Shoplifters 2 day's after they fired him so there was no communication about the policy changing. What had happened was there was an Assistant manager that the district manger had been trying to get rid of way before this store Manager started and when the assistance manager apprehended the shoplifter with force and ended up getting fired. When this fired assistant manager herd that the store manager apprehended a shoplifter and not get fired he called the main office and treated to sue them if they didn't fire the store manager. Next thing store manager knew he was fired even when he wasn't the one that caught the shoplifter in the first place. Both situations were different. But DM felt there was his opening to get his friend in. He has gone on interviews and told the truth but Potential Employers don't believe that someone could get fired for that.
    Nancygray2

Comment by Nancygray2 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on May. 31, 2011

• He can say that he was downsized

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• How about "it was a rather complicated political situation and I felt it was time to move on." Implying but not saying that he felt it best to move on from the toxic crap of suing them after they wrongfully fired him and maintaining that he is the bigger person for not falling into their political crap. Don't get me wrong every place has some politics, but when you can't win you take your ball and go home rather than proving how right you are.  He doesn't have to prove that he was right and the last employer was wrong, He has to prove that he will be a dependable and worry free employee at the new place.  Nobody want to hire somebody who will probably eventually sue them.  Just like nobody wants to hire anybody with a highly negative attitude.  Your friend might just have to find a job with somebody he already knows who knows he isn't the type to start the trouble. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2011