Interested in honest opinions...

...so, in conversation with an acquaintance, it comes to light that they believe Atheists/Agnostics/Humanists/Skeptics/Non-theists (tried to cover all the bases) truly do believe in the christian god and are simply angry, hate filled people.

What I'm curious to know is, is this a broad perception that most christians have of us? That we do believe, yet are simply angry at the deity for some reason?

(coming from this person, it truly surprised the hell out of me- pardon the pun)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 6:59 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No I dont think that of all people who dont believe, however I do think there is a certain element of people that say they dont believe but deep down they do, I have seen it, someone major goes wrong in their lives and they are find themselves praying to God or going to Church, for people like that I think there was always a doubt for them that God actually may exist. I dont think they are the majority though I do think most have made a conscience decision for themselves that there is no God.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• No, I don't think that all non-believers (which is the general term used in most Christian groups, not meant to be offensive to you) are really closet believers who are just mad at God. I do think that some people have become non-believers that were once believers (because I have personally talked to them) and the root cause of this usually is not God, but the people who do horrible things in the name of God. Imagine if your idea of all Christians was what you saw displayed by people like those from the Westboro Baptist church. I wouldn't want any part of that religion either. Basically, unless someone wants to share with me why they don't believe in God, it's none of my business, so I really don't know why most people who choose not to believe in God have made that choice.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think this line of thought is the only way they can make it work in their minds.

For example, my sister cannot grasp that I believe in God, just not the Christian version. She cannot understand how I can believe that God exists without believing in the Bible and Christianity.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think for some it could be true. I have never put much thought into it to be honest. I kinda go off the old parable where God plants seeds and some grow, some are caught in rocks and dont, and all that. Cant remember the parable exactly. I just dont think all people will believe in God no matter how much evidence they are presented with.

Answer by gemgem at 7:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think people "hope" we do. What they fail to realize is that we perhaps (I am speaking for myself here) did believe because at first we were told to believe then we really thought we felt "the holy spirit" but something just didn't add up. I can't believe in something that is forced nor has so many discrepancies
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think to say ALL would inaccurate but plenty of people I have met are so angry about something a God they don't even believe did or did not do something.

The loudest Christians are usually trying to convince themselves they are a true child of Christ and the loudest atheist (and everything else mentioned) is usually to convince his or herself there is not God.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 7:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• the way i grew up we were told they either refuse to believe or they just dont know *SOME* are angry while others just go with the flow it doesnt have much to do with i believe that no one truely knows until they are taught it doesnt matter what you believe you started believing because you were taught
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 7:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I certainly think that there is a feeling that we "fell off the path" or "will come back to the church one day", but I don't know if that is the consensus. I know many of my friends accept me at my word that I simply do not believe in a higher power.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Well I can't speak for anyone but myself,but i just don't believe in the Christian's idea of God. No anger here!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• There are people like that but they are not atheists.  They are people who are having a crisis in faith, so in an act of rebellion they label themselves as atheist. 

True atheists aren't angry at something that doesn't exist.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:20 PM on May. 31, 2011