If I put my daughter on my husbands ins. will it cause my ex to pay child support?

My ex had custody for 12 years and never asked a dime from me. Now at 16 she is living with me and we want to add her to our ins. but her paternal grandmother says if we do this the courts will make my ex pay child support. This can't be true can it? We don't want any money, since he never asked it from us.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• No its not true. You just write a letter of agreement and have it notorized and place in the court record saying you dont want child support.

Answer by gemgem at 12:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• How would the courts even know that you put her on your husbands insurance?
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I really don't think that it would make your ex have to pay child support. However, most insurances won't allow "step kids" on the insurance plans.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The only way he will have to pay child support is if you take him to court for it.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• If you put your child on medicaid they would make your ex pay child support...maybe this is where she is getting confused?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• There should be no problem with you adding your child to your husband's health insurance policy.
    blg119

Answer by blg119 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i dont see it being a problem especially if you dont have any court ordered situations
    my step son is only able to visit a couple times a month so my husband pays his ex monthly AND he was on my family insurance plan. his mom didnt have ins and it didnt cost us any extra to add him
    but that probably doesnt help you any, sorry

but that is true if you get it from the welfare office they expect you to get support
    learae

Answer by learae at 3:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• No, he will not have to pay. The only way he would have to pay (or be under the threat of paying) is if you were to take to court to get it. Since you don't want child support, there's no problem.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2008