My 3 year old is petrified of flys! What do I do?

She wont even go in our yard!

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 7:21 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My ds is also terrified of bugs, he is 2 1/2. One particular evening I was drivng and he started screaming at the top of his lungs, scared me and nearly made me wreck the car. I pulled over to find a gnat, yes gnat, on his window. He would not calm down until it was gone! We have tried to tell him bugs don't like little boys, they are scared of you, and show him you can hold and not hurt certain ones. So, hopefully it will be something they will outgrow. In the meantime, it makes for some funny stories to tell!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 7:31 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I'm right there with Angie. My DS did that with an ant one time in the car! It scared me to death!

Just take it little by little, teach her things about bugs too. :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 7:32 PM on May. 31, 2011

• And he acts like that with any bug anywhere. And with fuzz, lint, whatever.....
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 7:32 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Buy her a flyswatter! Then she can go outside with her new weapon and not have anything to worry about!
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 7:33 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My daughter was at that age too. She still isn't a bug fan at the age of 6 but she has mostly outgrown the fear.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:37 PM on May. 31, 2011

• hand her a fly swater and make it a game the more flyes she hits she gets a prize ( go to the dollar store and get a bag of little toys and give her one every time she gets to 30)
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 7:37 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Mine too! Lmao.... we went for a walk and she kept saying "BUG!!!" and screaming, then turning and running! She went to pick up a rock (number 8) to bring home and DH goes "theres a bug on it!".... she FLIPPED OUT!!!! She threw it then came screaming, crying, running to me and I have tried to explain so many times it's just a bug! They're TERRIFIED of you and are trying to get away but because they're so small they can't move very fast. I also try to get her to stop and look closer to see how many legs or what color and such.... I used to tell her to step on it but then she was scared of her shoe... DD is 3 as well and I think it's adorable.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My son is 3 1/2 and just got out of (hopefully) a week long fear of bees- we spent a lot of time inside. I would look out the window with him and talk about what bees did and how they lived (we read a few books about bees too- there are a lot of kids books on bugs). When we are outside he will scream about a bee and I will encourage him- talk about how brave he is/was when a bee was getting pollen from around him. I have him pick flowers and put them in a pile for the bees to visit if he wants to.

Mostly I try to turn his fear into a positive experience with encouragement and gentle words. It seems to have worked for the most part, but we take it day by day:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 6:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2011