Not telling anyone your child's gender?

I'm sure a lot of you saw that article where the parents aren't telling anyone whether their baby is a boy or girl..it's probably even been discussed already since I haven't been in answers for awhile. They aren't even going to fill the child in on gender differences. Does this seem like it would do any good to you? What I mean is... it seems that a lot of that stuff is hardwired in. I can tell differences between my daughter and son already, and he is only one. He definitely gives meaning to the phrase "boys will be boys." And by that I mean... he is very stereotypically "boy" even at this age. Climbing, wrestling, eating like a pig...and my God how his face lights up when he sees a ball.

He's one, so obviously he's too young to realize "Hey, I'm a boy...so I should like these things..." It seems as though me treating him as gender neutral would only have him confused or wondering what was wrong later...since he is naturally inclined to "boy-ness."

If he were more feminine or whatever, that would be fine too...I'm just saying in general.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I think it is an interesting experiment in nature vs nurture

but I don't think kids should be living social experiments
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I haven't seen the article but I think it's weird and I am not sure what they think it will accomplish.I agree that my sons are different than my daughters and alot of it isn't learned behavior
    momof3ak

Answer by momof3ak at 7:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think this sort of thing has been done before, though. Only...by accident. Like when a child is born a male, for instance. Way back when, before they could correct a botched penis if it was whacked off by mistake I guess. So the parents raise the child as a girl...but the kid grows up with all these issues because "she" feels like a boy (because he is a boy). Isn't this similar? In any event...I agree. Kids aren't social experiments.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I read the article and feel like they are going to royally screw that poor boy, and their other kids up. It's one thing to be ok with your son wanting to play dress up, or play house, or your daughter to play with trucks and in the mud... It's an entirely different thing to keep their gender a secret, and make him a gender neutral baby. I didn't teach my 21 month old daughter to love whose... But when she sees them she wants them, I didn't teach our son to like trains, but ever since he was 7 months he has been addicted to them... Parents should not experiment on their kids. Their kids are going to be ridiculed, mocked, and they are setting them up for it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Shoes^^ not whose
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:04 PM on May. 31, 2011

• See, that's how my son is. I am beginning to notice the gender differences, and he is still too young to mentally grasp what being a "boy" means. It's just part of him. I found it funny the first time we showed him a baseball. His entire face just lit up and he started kicking and grabbing for it. It was like "OMG... it's an effin ball!!!" And my daughter likes balls...but not quite like this. lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I couldn't believe that when I saw it on the news the other night. That's fine to let your child be their own individual, but why hide the sex - especially from the Grandparents !!!

My son likes to play with dolls & play house and my daughters like to play with hot wheels, play ball and so on...they do what they want because that is whats fun, I don't push anything on them.
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 10:46 PM on May. 31, 2011

• very weird to me
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• They are just making it more confusing. Poor kid. Parents are taking this stuff way toooo far. What happens when potty training begins? I mean ...you either 'tinkle' or 'whiz'....what then?

Gender neutral. That's just adults "freaking" things up worse than they already are.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011