If your doctor told you to to have a glass of wine would/did you take the advice?

Mine told me to have a small glass or wine and take a bath tonight to see if it would help me go into labor. I bought the wine, but I am still hesitant. Has anyone else been told this? Did you do it? Would you?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:51 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have had a glass of wine while I was pregnant. But the doctor didnt tell me to do it, she told me it was alright if I did tho. If you google up information the effects of drinking during pregnancy, there are no set guidelines because they can't really do a study on that you know...they can't tell pregnant women to drink and let thier babies be guinea pigs. Use your own best judgement. If it doesnt feel right, don't do it.Good Luck and hope you go into labor soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:55 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i was told to have wine to stop contractions.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 7:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Holy crap...the last thing in the world I would want to do is stop labor if it is coming LOL! For real though, I'm almost 41 weeks and miserable. Great!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 7:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Oh, and mine was worried that it was stress that was preventing me from going into labor so that is why he recommended the relaxation stuff.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 7:58 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i wouldn't use it to go into labor, but i'm not much for self-induction techniques. i'm more of a "they'll come when they're ready" gal.

but i also don't condemn the occasional glass of wine during pregnancy. my doctor did tell me to have one once. it was during my 2nd pregnancy, i had an amnio done on my 22nd birthday. my mil and mom were with me and we planned to go out for dinner afterward. the doctor said it would be fine if i had a glass of sangria, and i did. she's 2 1/2 now with no repercussions from that glass of sangria, and it didn't do anything regarding labor.. lol.. she was 3 weeks late actually =/
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:58 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Red wine is very good to build your blood. The doctors used it years ago. I had pneumonia when I was 6 and the doctor made me drink wine. I glass or two is not going to hurt. He is probably figuring if you relax, it might happen. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) only occurs when you drink heavily throughout your pregnancy. It wouldn't have even hurt if you got drunk before knowing you were pregnant. Relax, have a glass or two (I wouldn't have any more) and have a bath. Enjoy the last part of your pregnancy!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 7:59 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes, he did say specifically red wine and that is what I bought.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:02 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My midwife told me to have a glass of wine during labor to help me relax and get some sleep. I did. I think it's funny people will gladly take an epidural or narcotics during labor but hesitate with a glass of wine! The effects of it are far less with wine than the other meds. that are offered!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• No. I personally feel that if a glass of wine is going to relax you then WHAT will it do to baby.

I will also not take an epidural or any other meds.

Also most of the time things like wine and warm bathes typically relax the body and muscles. Those two things are often used to keep you from going into labor. They are said to be good DURING labor once it has actively started but to start it...never heard of that one....
    Anonymous

• @ anon...if a labor is stalled, it can be helpful if mom can get some sleep for a while and relax a bit. Then after she's rested (and her uterus has also rested) labor may pick up and kick into gear. Wine is a better alternative to narcotics to get some rest or pitocin to speed up labor.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011