Are there any TEACHERS or ppl going to school to become a TEACHER

Im needing some advice on a few things about my summer courses and I need to ask some questions please!... Dont respond if you are not a teacher or in the field to become one.

JacquitaH

Asked by JacquitaH at 7:56 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am studying elementary education and early childhood education....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I have my degree in education - certified to teach 9-12 social studies and math.

Answer by missanc at 7:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Great!... What courses are you taking? and when is the best time to do student teaching (if you know) and are there certain Grants that I can apply for that you know are good?
    JacquitaH

Comment by JacquitaH (original poster) at 7:58 PM on May. 31, 2011

• What is the praxis test like and how many times do you have to take it? Should I get in the TEACH program or it doesnt matter as long as you have a degree in education?
    JacquitaH

Comment by JacquitaH (original poster) at 7:59 PM on May. 31, 2011

• What are some things that they dont tell you about getting in the education field that i should know about..(nothing extremely negative please).
    JacquitaH

Comment by JacquitaH (original poster) at 8:00 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Should i apply for substitute teaching just so that I am already in the classroom?
    JacquitaH

Comment by JacquitaH (original poster) at 8:01 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I took the Praxis in 2 parts, but didn't have to take it more than once. You have to make a certain score, so how many times you take it would depend on whether or not you pass. I'm not sure what the TEACH program is - is that local?
    Generally you do your student teaching the last semester before you graduate.

Answer by missanc at 8:02 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Well I am taking my summer off, and I'm in my 3rd year. Grants mostly depend on what state you are from, you can google them by state. Student teaching is your final semester. The teach program will again depend on where you live, because it is for teaching in low income areas. You could do substitute teaching, but that is what student teaching is for. And most classes require you to sit in on specific classes too. My special education class required 6 hours with 4 different special Ed teachers, for example. Praxis is easy. I took it once.but wait to schedule it until you've talked to your advisor because one of your teachers might require it. My elementary statistics teacher had us take it at the end of the year.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:13 PM on May. 31, 2011

• thank you all very much for responding!!!..You have helped
    JacquitaH

Comment by JacquitaH (original poster) at 8:29 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The Praxis exam requirement is different for each state and for what your specific field in education will be. I didn't think it was that bad. I had to take the Core Battery and then one for my area of concentration. I passed the first time for each. I do know people who have taken it several times and have not passed it.

In my state, student teaching is typically done the last semester of college. I am a cooperating teacher and have had several student teachers in my classroom.

As for subbing, yes, go ahead and apply to sub, but be aware of some possible drawbacks.  Sometimes subbing gives the district a great idea of what you are like and if they want to hire you. Sometimes they like you too much as a sub and don't want to lose you as such and therefore they do not hire you full time. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:34 PM on May. 31, 2011