What one thing your parents taught you that you hope to pass along to your kids?

My mom has always been an advocate for the underdog, because she always felt like one. I realize now that her struggles and her openness in sharing them with me have given me a much greater sense of empathy with others. I try not to see someone who is doing something they shouldn't and jump to conclusions...I wonder what their story is. I wonder what could have brought them to it. I was also taught to love and respect everyone until they give me a reason not to. That I wasn't better or worse than anyone else, even if another person thought differently than I do.

I think it's sad how many people don't think this way... but I really hope I can instill that in my kids.

I also knew beyond all doubt that no matter who I was or what I did...that both of my parents would be behind me 100%. I never knew this concept of unconditional love and acceptance was so foreign to some parents, but I hope my kids know that about my husband and I as well.

Sorry...I should be working so I started getting all contemplative. lol

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 8:12 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My parents taught me to accept everyone for who they are and to not judge anyone.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:13 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My bio parents were nothing special & taught me only how not to act while raising my own child. My adopted parents whom I am really close to have taught me that everyone isnt always nasty & out to get you. They are still teaching me a lot of things bc I wasnt adopted into the family until I was 16 so got to play a lot of catch up but they have been present my daughters entire life so they are teaching her all the things they taught their bio kids when they were little so I get to watch them do that through her.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:20 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My parent's taught me the importance of an education and not counting on others to support or take care of you. They taught me a lot more than that, but that is one thing I hope to pass along to my children.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 8:21 PM on May. 31, 2011

• To not judge people for any reason.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:22 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Good one. :-) and Mel that's really sweet!
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My parents taught me the value of a good work ethic, and that you should never expect anyone to hand you anything in life. I am VERY glad to be raised without the "entitlement syndrome" that seems to run rampant.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:36 PM on May. 31, 2011

• y mom alway taught me to love your family and be honest, and I just hope I can pass that on in her loving memory, and I think honesty is very important in anyones life
    pook003

Answer by pook003 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Nothing. I brought my girls up different than I was brought up. My parents were very young and kept popping out kids one after the other(5) that they couldn't possibly give individual love and attention too because suddenly they were toooo busy trying to keep food in our stomachs and shoes on our feet. Not even that MOST of the time. I did not want to repeat any of their ways or ideals.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2011