What age?

If your daughter was 19 and wanted to get married would you be happy? Personally i wouldn't only because i was with my dh since i was 16 and i never had me time. I wouldn't change my life i love how its played out but i want my dd to have their own place work do what they want when they want and not have to worry about an so/dh. But i would explain this and let her choose then support it in the end.

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 8:12 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know. I got married at 19 so I'm not sure I could tell her not too. As long as he would make her happy and she loves him I would support her. At 19 she would have to make her own decision.
    busymominmo

Answer by busymominmo at 9:55 PM on May. 31, 2011

• If they can go in the service at that age and choose to give their life for their country, then there is no reason they shouldn't get married. What is "me" time, that sounds a bit selfish. That's what we are raising our kids to be. We were born to choose a mate and populate.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think that couples who marry young go one of two ways. They either grow apart, or it's easier for them. For us, everything was easier because everything we accomplished, we did together. We built our lives together, instead of trying to fit each other into our lives.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:25 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I got married at 16 and still had "me time". Even now I still have a social life outside my husband and children. I knew what I wanted in life from an early age, and I believe those things were even easier for me to accomplish because I had my DH by my side.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:02 PM on May. 31, 2011

• So yea, age wouldn't be a huge factor for me when deciding whether or not my children would be ready for marriage. So long as I feel my children will be happy and loved by their spouse and be able to accomplish their goals I wouldn't have a problem with how young they are.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would express my feelings that she is on the young side & ask that they have a nice really long engagement like a couple years or more long. If after all of that she still insisted then I would support her 100%. Its her life after all & you learn by making mistakes & who knows maybe the marriage would last forever or maybe it wouldnt. But I will still always express my concern for certain things in her life let her make her choice then support her either way as best as I possibly can.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It would be her decision. I was 18 when I got married, so I would certainly understand. My only concern is that my kids be happy and that they find someone who is good to them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:17 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would have a hard time being happy. I want my daughters to "live" a little.
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 8:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i dont think "me time" is selfish. I think its time to find who you are and grow. Me and dh had to do that together and its painfull at times and scary. I think alot of people grow apart when they get married to young. But like me and my dh i know it works also i just want them to have a few years of fun.
    whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 8:22 PM on May. 31, 2011

• @ JulieJacobKyle i love that! Thats why in the end i would support her.
    whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 8:31 PM on May. 31, 2011