At what age should I be worried about my childs speech?

At what age should I be worried about my sons speech? He has a difficult time pronouncing some letters, 'p' and 'h' especially. Anyone have any ideas how I can help him? I try to keep saying them slowly to him to help encourage him to try but it hasn't worked so far. My son is 2.

Februarymom2009

Asked by Februarymom2009 at 8:21 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Some sounds (l and r jump to mind) are not expected till age 5 or 6. Also, some sound combinations like "st". I wish I had the list.

The NC cutoff for speech therapy at age 3 (don't know 2), is the child has to be lacking more than 2 sounds expected at his age and/or has to be understandable less than 50% of the time. At age 4, that goes up to 75%.

Your pediatrician can answer this question, but it doesn't sound like an issue at all. They are supposed to listen for cues. Also, you can ask them what sort of speech therapy/evaluations are available in your county/state. My county started at 3 or 4 and we had my son evaluated at 3, he barely passed but flunked at 4. So he has had 2 years of speech therapy this fall, and he speaks better than many kids now! It can do miracles. Do start early. But maybe look up what sounds to know at what age, and consider testing at 3 unless you have severe issues?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• not 2 thats for sure... about the school age 5
    Anonymous

• That's normal. Just keep repeating things to him the correct way... no baby talk. My son is 4 and I thought he was having to many speech issues so I had him evaled by the school speech therapist. She said even at 4 he some blends were difficult. Ask your doc at your next well child visit if your concerned. But chances are he's fine... he's still young!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My daughter started speech therapy when she was 6.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• it is fairly normal at that age, actually.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:31 PM on May. 31, 2011

• In kindergarten.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:31 PM on May. 31, 2011