Roommates are horrible

a relative is staying with us, this person has been here for 2 months, is totally irresponsible and the bedroom stinks something horrible, hasn't helped with rent, much less chores, omg hes gotta go, what would be the best way to get rid of this problem without a family fight.

pook003

Asked by pook003 at 8:23 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• Just be straight--"Look, this isn't going to work out. You don't pay rent, you don't do chores, and your room reeks. You have till the end of the week."
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You just have to tell them its time to leave. Your house your rules..."the person who pays the bills makes the rules!"
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:36 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I havn't succefully ever had a family memebr live with Dh and I without a fight breaking out before they finally left. I have had my sister and brother ( on seperate occasions) live in my house... they complain about helping financially, even though they promise before you take them in. They ate all my food, I always had to wait to shower, do laundry and they never helped with any household chores either. But as soon as there is even the slightest problem and you say something no matter how diplomatic you are about it, it ends in a fight. Well my family is a little nuts.. but It was a nightmare and Dh and I have vowed NEVER to bring anyone else in this house but us and our children.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You could ask him/her if there is anything you could do to help them find their own place. Maybe look in the paper for places in their price range, make some calls to make appointments, attend the appointments too & point out all the great things about the new place. You could try that try lighting a fire under their butt. If that dosent work then your simply goign to have to speak with them about how allowing them to stay was only a temporary situation & that you need your life to go back to "normal" for the kids etc

Wish I had better advice but good luck anyway!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I totally agree with emmyandisa
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Just tell them
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:32 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Amen to all the above. I have been there and done that and will never do it again.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 11:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• unfortunately you are all correct, this has to stop, So this friday Im off work, and Im gonna sit down, be completely honest, and let him know that when he asked to stay he implied something totally different from what I am getting and I shouldnt have to go through it, so he can start looking for a place and not burden my family.. BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE, JUST DONT LET IT AFFECT OTHERS.
    thank you soo much ladies, I feel much better.
    pook003

Comment by pook003 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2011