I was told soap and things are against the law to put in a childs mouth now and i cant find it online to see what is allowed. my son has a pottymouth and the pediatrcian told me to use a little vinegar

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have friends that use vinegar and it works like a charm. They use a medicine dropper, a couple of drops does the trick for them. Lucky for me my daughter hasn't been exposed to curse words yet. :)
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Maybe just give him something bitter or sour. Like give him lemon juice. My sister used lemon juice once when her son told his sister to shutup.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 8:43 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I don't really worry about language, so I don't use this stuff. But if vinegar doesn't work you can try lemon or lime or even salt... Depending on what your child doesn't like. Hot sauce and soap can not only be dangerous but can (in some cases and in some states) be illegal. Parents in Pittsburgh were on the news because they used Hot Sauce and their children were removed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on May. 31, 2011

• we are 'time-out' kind of parents, we dont agree with any sort of punishment like the the soap in the mouth or spankings.
    RobinEsMommy

Answer by RobinEsMommy at 8:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Vinegar is safe - and apple cider vinegar is actually really good for you.
    Anonymous

• Vinegar is ok. But it won't work if your child hears swearing all the time. If it's something that got picked up once it might work, but you say your kid has a potty mouth, where did it come from? You need to make sure no one continues to et a bad example
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• hahaha well i wouldn't use this as a punishment BUT if i did, i wouldn't use vinager just because my bestfriend said her mom did that to her when she was little.. she got a choice soap or vinager and she always picked vinager because she secretly LIKED it XD i also like vinagery type things so I would be suspicious that my kids would like it and it would back fire XD XD but yeah vinager wouldn't be harmful, and if they DONT like it, you'd probably be able to judge from their reaction whether or not it would work haha
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:17 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my ds hears swearing on a daily bases....he cusses every once in a great while because he will get told to correct his language once and if he contiues, he gets light pop to the cheak. if you teach a child from a very young age that something isnt acceptable, they wont do it as they get older. Ds started repeating cuss words at about 18 months, but now at almost 3.5 years he hardly ever cusses
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:21 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My 5 year old learned at an early age ugly words were not to be repeated, but my 2 year old is another story. He repeats everything he hears and vinegar does work wonders. I'll tell him to rephrase himself or he's getting vinegar and he totally changes his attitude. He knows what i mean and what I'm saying and he knows the consequences too. It took me some time but now we have it under cotrol so just keep up with the vinegar and he will eventually learn the consequences of his potty mouth.
    2_amazing_boys

Answer by 2_amazing_boys at 6:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2011