Sixteen and pregnant!!

How many people believe that 16 and pregnant promotes teen pregnancy?
How many believe its good to show teenagers what to expect if they get pregnant?

babygirl_18

Asked by babygirl_18 at 8:44 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think it promotes getting pregnant young, but I feel that MTV shouldn't be giving these girls compensation for being pregnant. I also don't like seeing them on the covers of magazines.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:29 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think it was a good idea with good intentions & at the start did its job well but now I'm not so sure of that anymore.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:48 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I am torn. I do know that MTV will not go forward with something unless they will make good money off of it.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:46 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i actualy agree with both statments i think it depends on the teen girl.
    a smart girl would look at it and see its hard to be a teen mom and not want the trouble but
    on the other hand you have those girls who are making it and it looks easy because they have a suportive family and frinds so girls want to be pregnant

this is a hard debate
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 8:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes I think it promotes teen pregnancy
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i think its a little bit of both, theres those kids that are the sort to think they can handle anything and need/want some major attention and they are the ones that want to be part of that show, but then theres the kids who see it and see how stressful and heart breaking it can be to have a baby so young and relationships breaking, they will learn from it and avoid having sex or atleast avoid unprotected sex to a tee....
    RobinEsMommy

Answer by RobinEsMommy at 9:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• the girls that are getting pregnant are not watching that show until after they are pregnant because they are out getting pregnant. i think it absolutely promotes its but also it shows the reality of both sides the good and the bad. but noone really gets it until it happens to them. imo.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think it often shows how hard it is to have a baby as a teenager, and I also think it's interesting that rarely do the mother and father stay together even though teens always think they are going to love their boyfriend/girlfriend forever. But I wish they had someone like a doctor or psychologist explaining what it is doing to these children to be in the middle of some of the fights we see. I wish they would show statistics of how many moms are really able to finish school or go to college once they have a child. When my daughter is a teen I hope I can help her realize how much responsibility a baby is, not just financially but emotionally, too. To be a good mother you have to be selfless and that's hard for a 16 year old to do. I think the show could stress the difficulties more. I don't think the show makes it look easy, but I don't think it conveys how hard it really is either.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:13 PM on May. 31, 2011