What would you do if your 3.5 yo DD...

...called your brother (her uncle) a "penis"?

Over Thanksgiving weekend, my beautiful, self proclaimed, girly *princess* called my brother a "penis"...yes, a penis!

Everyone tried not to laugh, but it obviously didn't work. I was mortified. My brother was not offended in the least, but I was absolutely mortified.

In this house, we use the correct terminology for things , so I guess she didn't see anything wrong with it...not sure why she did it.

We've talked about it and she says she knows it's not a word that we use around other people, but I'm afraid it's going to happen again.

I'm not looking for discipline advice really...just what your reaction would have been I guess.

What would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would just laugh it off... 3 year old just say what ever pops in to there brain at the moment.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 1:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• That's funny! My whole family would have had a gut busting laugh from that! She just picked it up somewhere
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• could have been worse. Just as I am sure you have let her know thats not a name to call ppl by. And thankfully he was not offended by it.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, but that's funny! I know at the time it wasn't for you though!

Maybe she was just connecting the fact that your brother is a boy and boys have penis'.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 1:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I would have had to excuse myself and laugh my ass off! Then come back in and tell her that she needed to apologize. By any chance was your brother acting like a penis head? Maybe she calls them like she seem 'em. I would just talk to her, at a later point but not to distant future, about name calling and polite words. We do not call people by private parts (although if she hears someone joke and being called a "boob" I mean what is a child to think really?) or poopie head or anything related to bodily functions. Try not to laugh and leave it at that. Most likely if she hangs with other preschoolers at any other time, or older relatives, then she has heard some name calling and I'm sure pretty imaginative name calling at that. Even a princess can cuss like a sailor from time to time.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have never had a child call someone a body part just cuz it popped in their head. I suspect she's heard someone call names either at home, school or TV and mimmicked what she heard. I would have immediately made her apologize then tremove her and have a talk regarding name calling and when to and not to use body part names.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• What ever you do don't laugh in front of her. i find the best way to handle these things are to ignore them then bring up something later about name calling and how you hurt people's feelings. They keep doing it if you laugh or have a shocked look. Right now a have a 2 year old who thought it would be okay to in the middle of my older sons school call his brother a "pain in the a$$" Granted he doesn't understand but the kids in the office laughed as well as some teachers so now he is walking around calling him a pain in the xxx all day long. At home we ignore him but the 3.5 year old should be understanding at this point that is a no no.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Did she use it as a "bad word"? My dd was mad at me the other day and she called me a "butt". So I put her in a time out since she meant it to be mean. But if they are just being silly and goofing around I wouldn't really make a big deal out of it- we use real terms in our house too. But at the same time I tell her we don't just talk about it in public all the time- just at home if we need to, and we don't call people those names. But of course she's turned it into "we don't say butt, mommy" when I say something with butt in it. Its hard to explain these things to 3 year olds!
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008