Have you ever been fired for missing one day of work as a no call no show by mistake?

I started a new job about a month and a half ago. I had been working at another Texas Roadhouse as a host but recently relocated and decided to give serving a shot. My second week serving I missed a shift completely. They had not realized I hadn't shown up until 2 hours into my shift which obviously was too late to come in. I went in personally and apologized even though they said it was unnecessary. I also had not been recieveing the emails of the schedule so it was understood and I was forgiven. 3 weeks later, today.. I got another call (this time a different manager) telling me I was late although only by a half hour and since I live so close I began to drive there and as I'm about to arrive I get a call (from the original manager) saying to not come in and have a meeting with him tomorrow "to discuss if I'm committed to this job". I know I am committed, I just don't know how to prove that. Any advice for tomorrow? :(

katybaby1211

Asked by katybaby1211 at 8:57 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• i would start making sure to find out the schedule ahead of time and really check the emails from now on if you really want to keep that job. if you do not then just move on. one time is fine but two times i am sure you probably will be written up. well that is the question are you commited to the job? all you have to do is answer it and you should be fine. just go in there confident and whatever happens happens. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• This is two times within a month. I think I would be questioning your commitment to the job as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yeah, the schedule is a little odd. The weeks begin on Wednesday and end on Tuesday and 2/2 shifts I missed were both on Tuesday and I do not work on Monday's so I never have to worry about those. I really do enjoy the job minus the manager. He constantly is on my back about my numbers at the end of the night, ignoring my accomplishments and focusing on minute mistakes. I do believe he has reason to be upset with me after my mistake but I do not understand why I did not come in for my shift after only being 30 minutes late? Thanks for your help :(
    katybaby1211

Comment by katybaby1211 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• As a manager of a restaurant I dont accept the excuse of "I didnt know I was supposed to be there" as an acceptable reason for missing work. If the schedule is posted on a day you arent there its still your responsibility to make sure you know when the next time you are expected to come in. I obviously dont know your whole situation so I cant say you were being irresponsible or whatever because I just dont know. HOWEVER:
    I have QUIT jobs with NO notice for changing my scheduled shifts while I wasnt there and without asking me if it was ok. It is NOT acceptable to change someones shift without telling them, So if that is more like the reason you missed a shift then I say tell that place to kiss your butt.
    Bottom line is if you are doing everything your supposed to be doing, and they want to fire you for it, then youd be better off somewhere else anyway.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:20 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Thats a lot of tardiness for such a short period of time. If ur unable to receive the emails then u should've taken the initiative to call them on ur days off, Monday to double check when ur next shift was. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's what ur managers probably expected from u. Personally, I'm very uptight about being prompt, and I go out of my way to ensure I'm aware of my schedule at all times.
    kpincince

Answer by kpincince at 9:21 PM on May. 31, 2011

• What is your attitude like towards this manager when you are at work? Are you happy and respectful while you are at the job in spite of resentments towards the things you don't like? Usually a manager will work with and overlook imperfections if they have a good worker who is easy to get along with. I look back at jobs I had when I was younger and going through some difficult times. I wish I could redo some of those times as I was a great worker, but had a bad attitude. The bad attitude wipes out any possible accomplishments. I have learned that I have to leave any "negativity " out of my job environment. When we are complacent to our obligations it affects others. There are consequences.... Good Luck tomorrow and know that everyone of us are replaceable. It is respect for others, consideration and the persona we give out which makes all the difference for everyone involved...

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I realize I have made mistakes and I'm taking full responsibility for them. I am not placing the blame on anyone else. I am just asking if there are any suggestions for what I should say to my manager or a better way to SHOW how I am taking this very seriously and want to do better for my meeting with him tomorrow so I can avoid termination if that is what he has in mind.
    katybaby1211

Comment by katybaby1211 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• &Thanks LeJane. I do understand that everyone is replaceable, especially in today's economy. I really do enjoy my job and I have been with the company for 3 years it just panned out that the 2 times I happened to miss were after I had transferred and unfortunately.. within a short amount of time. I have a great attitude while I am at work and when I do make small mistakes I always listen to what he is saying and do not argue or make excuses. I understand I have made a HUGE mistake, I just don't know how to prove that I care and will try even harder without time, if he decides to not continue my employment.
    katybaby1211

Comment by katybaby1211 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The only way to show you are committed, is to be 10 minutes early, EVERY day, from now on. No if's, ands, or buts.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Man, that sounds like a situation I'd find myself in. If you decide to stay, just be extra careful to be perfectly clear about your schedule ahead of time. Good luck with clearing up the misunderstandings!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2011