My MIL fed my 9 mo eggs, is that ok?

While I was at work, and my ds was at my MILs she fed him whole, scrambled eggs. ive never fed him eggs before bc I thought those weren't supposed to he introduced unil 12 mo, and he's 9 mo. Just wondering about ur experiences, I'm still learning about momhood.

kpincince

Asked by kpincince at 9:07 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hes fine.. if theres no signs of allergic reaction dont worry... give the baby some egg.. and some mashed potatoes he can eat ANYTHING thats soft and easy for babies.. why are u waiting for him to be 12months? Food in a jar is food we eat too just with a lil bit of water..
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I fed my kid eggs well before that.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• she shouldn't have taken the risk, egg whites can bring out severe allergies in infants. the yolks are okay to start introducing closer to 12 months. if nothing has happened, then he isn't allergic and now you know, but i still would be wary about what else my MIL is feeding my child without asking first. some things are ok but she should atleast be aware of the big potential allergic risks like strawberries, honey, peanuts
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I really wouldn't worry about it. If your little one did not have a reaction that he should be fine.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:17 PM on May. 31, 2011

• he is probably fine but i would tell her to pass it by you before giving him anything else. probably when she was raising her children that was just the way it was. the parents were not as paranoid. i had this conversation with my mother once. she did that with my brother and probably with me. but my brother has alot of alergies and i do not. but he is not alergic to eggs but anyways, i would just tell her not to do it again with out your permission.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:47 PM on May. 31, 2011

• honey i have feed my kids sense they come home first it is there milk wit rice ceral mixed wit apple sauce and as soon as they r big enough to set up and grab i feed them wat ever we eat all dr. says dont feed them this dont give them that but i have five oldest 18 and my baby 4 months they all was sleeping all nite by the time they was a month r 2 cuz i gave them a good warm bath got them good and warm and feed them that every nite before they went to sleep they was clean warm dry and full its not gunna hurt to feed your baby let him choose if he likes it r not lol
    yanezjana

Answer by yanezjana at 12:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Hon, today's medical society (and all the varying opinions that come with it) have created an environment for new moms and babies that wreaks of paranoia. While in some instances it's perfectly warranted to to not overwhelm babies system before their digestive system can handle something (popcorn, spicy food, caffeine, etc) - other instances are perfectly fine and the "strict warnings" seem to come from airing on the side of caution instead of sound knowledge.
    When I was a baby I was on a bottle (imagine how far formula has come since 1969) - but by the time I was 3 months old my momma had me sucking on a biscuit soaked in sugar-water. I'm positive I was gumming non-salted mashed potatoes long before I was 6 months old and I probably had my first taste of scrambled eggs WAY before my first birthday.
    I think your baby is fine and your MIL didn't poison your SO/DH when he was a baby, so I'd trust her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2011