Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What should I do if a family member is showing signs of PPD?

I feel my grandchild's mother has been showing signs of postpartum depression still after three months. Gradually it has worsened and I am worried about her and the child. She's been told by several people to seek help and she refuses. She was given a test to see if she had postpartum depression and according to this test she does. But she still refuses to get help or advice of any kind.
Anyadvice would be helpful, thankyou.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Health

Answers (4)
  • she has to be ready to seek help, I would leave a printout of an article or website or hotline around where she'll see it, so she has the resource if/when she is ready. In the meantime just try to make sure your grandbaby is *safe*, that the Mom has other people around regularly. Was this 'test' an online thing or a medical assessment by a physician?

    Maybe offer to take the baby for a few hours so she can get a break? Or invite her on a walk or to lunch or something, not to grill her about depression symptoms, just to get her out and about? Not going to cure true PPD but even just a little time to herself might do her some good...

    Answer by tigrefan98 at 9:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • be there for her and the baby when the explosion happens, you can't force anyone to get help

    Answer by sophistcatdfury at 9:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • Is there anybody you can talk to about it? Is she not with your son? If you knew a friend or better yet, spouse, you could ask them how best to bring it up.

    There is a huge stigma about PPD. It can feel like she is a failure at the only thing that's really important in life if she admits to it, and if there is any divorce, that it will be used against her. So if you get her help, push positive at her. Tell her how great she is at-- anything. And how hard the situation she's in might be. And argue her worries, be that about perception (in the family, at her job, legally, etc), that they can't help her, that it will go away on its own if she just keeps trying to hold it together, etc. Listen for an opening. Care about HER, too

    Look through her eyes. See the negatives? Scary? The positives must outweigh them.

    And do help. Give her a break. Try to get her out of the house, have breaks, exercise- not cures but coping mechanisms.

    Answer by Tracys2 at 9:45 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • just talk to her about it. tryi to get her out of the house with the baby. take the baby for a while and let her have some "alone" time just tel her how important it is to get help. you cant force her but try to show her some cases where the mother has seriously hurt their child and she will realize that she needs to get some help. all she will need to get is some medicine and that is it. the doctors dont judge it is very common.

    Answer by hismommy6509 at 10:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.