How long after taking alka-seltzer is it safe to breastfeed?

I have been having bad stomach for 24 hours now. I finally gave in and took some alka-seltzer. I didn't realize you can't while breastfeeding. My son is 7 months old. When will it be safe to breastfeed again? TIA I am trying to look it up but can't really find anything..

Tracyls2005

Asked by Tracyls2005 at 9:21 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is perfectly safe to take while nursing. The label states "consult physician" to cover the manufacturer's ass from any potential idiotic law suit.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:24 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yea I agree with Obby, they put that on every kind of medication to cover themselves so they can't get sued. So don't worry, you're okay lol
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 9:33 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Thank u:) I tried giving him formula and he won't have anything to do with it. And he is hungry
    Tracyls2005

Comment by Tracyls2005 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i work at a grocery store and i actually recently learned this from my supervisors because you have to be 18 to buy alca seltzer, mucinex, nyquil, and a few other medications and the reason is there are ingredients in there that are found in Meth and it will have the same effect as Meth if taken in high doses.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:34 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Cyclo-oxygenase is involved in the production of various chemicals in the body, some of which are known as prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are produced in response to injury or certain diseases and would otherwise go on to cause pain, swelling and inflammation. Aspirin is therefore used to relieve pain and inflammation.

Those labels are there for a reason.. yes you can make meth out of it.. and people who told you it is safe and to ignore warning labels.. yeah they need to know what they are saying before they answer!
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 12:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• ".. and people who told you it is safe and to ignore warning labels.. yeah they need to know what they are saying before they answer!"

...and you can lose your condescending attitude, reread the responses. No one said to 'ignore' the warning label. The label is there for a reason, to prevent lawsuits when stupid people misuse the product.
    It is, in fact, on the "safe" list of meds to take while breastfeeding... so is Sudafed- which is also a key ingredient in meth. Neither of which cause a "meth high" if you overdose on them. Both will affect milk supply if misused, both are safe taken when the package directions are followed. ANYTHING misused can be dangerous.

The assertion that it has the same physical effects as methamphetamine is simply hilarious!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2011