Fruit Tree Help

My pear trees are 5 years old and have yet to produce a single piece of fruit. They're beautiful trees, very healthy, but won't produce any fruit (before anybody asks, I know they're not ornamental pears, they're supposed to fruit).

Can someone offer me some advice as to why they may not be producing?

TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Maybe it's not getting pollinated properly? Also if it's too hot or too rainy it won't get the pollination it needs therefore it wont bear fruits. Does it bear flowers at all?
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 9:45 PM on May. 31, 2011

• How many do you have and are they the same variety? That does make a difference.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• are you sure that one is male and one is female? you can't have 2 of the same exact trees they need to be different genders. you can stop by your local lowes and talk to an LNS " live nursery specialist" they can help you alot.
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 9:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• We have a pear tree and have never had any trouble or required much maintenance, but it is much older. Could it just be that they have to be older? I am curious to know!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:00 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It is probably a pollination issue.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 10:55 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Are they close enough together to cross pollinate?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would guess it is a pollination issue call a local nursery for advise
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• They are 5 different varieties and they are spaced at the recommended distances.

KristinRox....There are only ever a few flowers & our weather has been unusual for the last 3 years, vacillating between freezing cold & insanely hot (it's like Spring & Fall don't exist anymore), so perhaps this is the problem. I never thought about it before, but now that it's been mentioned, it makes sense.

Thanks everyone!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2011