What is "normal" speech development for a 13 month old?

My #2 is 13 months old. We just have not spent alot of time with her, teaching her words, reading books (now I am feeling really guity) because my 3 year old is much better at demanding attention from us. My #2 points a lot, babbles a lot, says a lot of "that" and attempted "ma ma", but no other discernable words. My sister-in-law says she's concerned with her vocabulary, I do recall my #1 knowing a lot more words at that age, but to me this is a clear case of advantage #1 child enjoys via undividend parental attention. Should I be concerned? What's your experience?

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 9:42 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well it's important to remember not to compare your children, i did the same thing and drove myself nuts. my oldest was talking in sentences by 18 months and my middle needed speech evaluation at 21 months. now at 2 and a half my middle is becoming better with speech but it's taken a long time to get here. she reached all her other milestones early, but speech came late and so did most of her fine motor skills. she is only now starting to eat cereal off of a spoon and drink from a regular cup. my youngest is 16 months now and not as linguistically advanced as my oldest, but more than my middle was. while she can't speak in sentences she has a vocabulary of about 40 words. each child is different and learns at a different pace, just follow their lead and keep encouraging through books and repetition. i believe between 12-15 months is when they should say atleast 2 words.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:48 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think every child is different, so at 13mths its very hard to say if a childs speech is delayed, some kids dont start talkign until 2 then they just take off........at 13 months I would not be concerned many children just say a few words at that stage, is your childs Dr concerned about it?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:47 PM on May. 31, 2011

• there realy isnt any mothers will tell you something diff but when my son was 13 months old he could say momma well but the rest he realy couldnt mostly a mumble all toddlers are different but it is so cute to hear the un understandable words come out
    tjmommy2010

Answer by tjmommy2010 at 9:46 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The last check-up was 12 month. The doctor did not seem concerned, esp given she was dealing with severe ear infections for t6 months and eventually got tubes.
    Olivia4116

Comment by Olivia4116 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on May. 31, 2011