Putting a baby to sleep for the night (8 weeks old)

after the babies final night feeding, around 9/10 pm i am trying to put him in his crib to sleep. we have the mobile on and such, but it isn't working. this has been ongoing for over a week. thoughts???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our 8 week old doesn't fall asleep immediately when we put him down to bed, but generally he doesn't fuss. He can lay awake all night long if he wants, but he'll do it swaddled in the co-sleeper in our bed. He eats every 3-3.5 hours around the clock and sleeps pretty much the entire time otherwise. He's only wide awake about 2 or 3 hours per day.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• They are too young to expect them to sleep through the night at 8 weeks... It may be months before they sleep through the night w/o waking! My 7 month old still wakes at least once a night on ocassion to feed.
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 9:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Growth spurt? I noticed that when mine goes thru one, that her sleeping patterns would be screwed up for a couple weeks.

Have you tried swaddling? or just white noise...like a fan.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:48 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Has he been in his crib since you bought him home for hopsital and your just having problems over the last week or so, or has he been in your room or bed and now your trying to transition him?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i'm not really sure what your question is. are you concerned about frequent night waking or getting him to sleep in his crib as opposed to with you?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:51 PM on May. 31, 2011

• he has been in his crib in his room for several weeks. I am not expecting him to sleep through the night, just simply fall asleep in his crib after the nighttime feeding. once he is asleep and he wakes around 2 and 6 am, he eats fine and goes back to sleep fine.

it is the initial bed time that he struggles with. he didn't like the swaddle and would wiggle free, so I stopped it. should I not be expecting him to fall asleep at the last bottle? thanks everyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my DD sleeps through the night (7 or 8 hrs). this is probably due to her being FF. plus I've worked very hard to get her on some kind of a schedule to work with me and my DH (he works 2nd shift and I work 1st). in the beginning I had a hard time with her fussing. but learned as long as she wasn't all out crying, she would eventually realize her fussing wasn't going to get her out of going to bed. now she goes to bed for the night at the same time every night and sleeps right when I need to get up for work.

with consistency you can get your LO on a schedule to. it takes time and patience.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 10:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I always tried to give Mason a bath before his last feeding. So, if your last feeding is around 9:00, then try to give the baby a bath around 8:30 ish. Hopefully, the baby will begin to recognize the routine. (Bath, bottle, bed) When feeding the baby, turn the lights down and I always played soft music.
    Mason didn't sleep through the night until 9 weeks old. Before that, he sometimes wouldn't go to bed until 11:00! I started a regular routine and that started to work little by little.
    masonsmom116

Answer by masonsmom116 at 10:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• he's 8 weeks old.. most babies still need feedings every 2-3 hours, THIS IS NORMAL.. sorry but this is part of having a little one.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• ok, as long as he is not really crying hard I would put him down in the crib and let him whinge a little, otherwise he will get used to falling asleep in your arms or elsewhere, he probably wont cry for long and just go off to sleep, he will learn to self soothe himself normally after a few night, Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2011