Question on packing and where to start...

Lived in this place for five years. Now we are moving and I have no idea where to start. I don't know if I should just do one room at a time and start with the bedrooms? Or if I should try to pack up everything we don't use first.

So far, I've packed one box... The stuff on the walls.

We've got about a month before the move, but I don't want to rush and do everything last minute.

For those of you that had some time before moving, how did you organize your packing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Room by room is a good way to do it. Start with the kitchen and pack up everything your not going to need just leaving out the basic essentials, with the bedrooms pack as much as you can just leaving beds etc.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I just moved, I packed the stuff I used the least first.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i had about a month before my recent move, and i started with the knick-knacks, like you said stuff on the walls. i packed up everything that was just for decoration or didn't get much use. then i did it room by room, starting with the kitchen because (for me) it always seems to be the biggest job. i always want to get the worst out of the way first.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I always started with things that were stored and packed away already. Like stuff in the closets in boxes and holiday stuff not in use. then I go through and seperate like 2 weeks worth of clothes and kept those out and packed away everything else.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:54 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Start with everything you won't be using from now til AFTER the move. So holiday decor, random things sitting in your house like candles etc......stuff that isn't actively being used, but isn't already in boxes/bags.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 9:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I did it by room. I always started in the kitchen because there is always extra of everything in there. Then I moved to the living room and did the bedrooms last. Bedrooms usually have personal objects used most often.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:00 PM on May. 31, 2011

• yeah we always started with things we didn't use often. if you have a spare bedroom or a separate dinning-room that's where we stacked our boxes so we didn't feel so cluttered. and one good tip: if you have a lot of books this is what you do. put a layer or two in the bottom of the boxes and fill with lighter stuff like towels and sheets, this way the boxes are not too heavy to pick up. a box of books will weigh a ton. and we always kept a notebook and would label the boxes with numbers and write in the notebook what was in the box.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 10:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I always start by packing the things that we dont use often like in drawers or the closet.All the excess dishes that dont get used everyday.The wall hangings and miscellaneous decorting stuff
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:17 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Start with one room and pack what you don't use then after you have went through every room like that start back over and pack up the least used room.
    Make sure you label the boxes by what room they go into and purge anything you no longer want. It will make it much easier when you unpack.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 10:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Go room by room begining with the non essentials.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 11:56 PM on May. 31, 2011