How can I get my 20 month old to sleep?

When we put her to bed at night, following the same routine, we don't know if she will sleep 20 minutes, 2 hours, or all night. She hasn't slept through the night at all since birth. I'm starting to wear down after almost 2 years of this. I need help. I have tried what the books say, I have tried soft music, white noise. I'm serious, you name it, we tried it. Please, I will take any advice I can get. She is also a climber, so no crib or playpen, and the toddler bed is so easy for her to get out of. We are almost to a dangerous stage, because she may get up in the night, and we wouldn't know it. I have lost lots of sleep over this. Please, I am begging for you advice.

margwysammom

Asked by margwysammom at 10:00 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm in the same boat mama. My son will be 2 in July and won't sleep throught the night or in his bed. He usually falls asleep on the couch and by the end of the night after being up two or three times he's in our bed because I'm too exhausted to do otherwise. I have tried a ton of things too and been told by many mom's "oh my son didn't sleep trhough the night til he was 3..." yippie kiy aye...
    Anyways, GL Mama!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• if she likes music put and has a t.v in her room put in a music cartoon movie that might help
    tjmommy2010

Answer by tjmommy2010 at 10:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• find some way to keep her in her room at night. let her stay awake if she wants to but do not bother her...also dont let her nap during the day she will be too tired to stay awake. you deserve a good nights sleep. if she stays up all night let her but NO NAPS
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I was also told by her pediatrician that some children just don't require as much sleep as others. I am a little older now, and I DO require sleep. As far as naps go, they have quiet time at daycare, and my daughter is the first one to lay down and go to sleep. She doesn't put up a fight there.
    margwysammom

Comment by margwysammom (original poster) at 7:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2011