How can i get my 2 year old to drink from a regualar cup instead od a sippy cup?

nikkiemmakasey

Asked by nikkiemmakasey at 10:02 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Practice, practice, practice. I had my son pracitce in the bathtub. Also, put just a little bit in the cup at a time, because until they figure out how to use the regular cup, they tend to spill it all over themselves.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• yea she likes straws so we trying that way too
    nikkiemmakasey

Comment by nikkiemmakasey (original poster) at 10:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• use small cups, like the stack of ones you can get at dollar tree, and only fill it 1/4 of the way. Give it to her at meal times, and have a glass of drink yourself. The easiest way for babys to learn is by mimicking.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 10:13 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I agree with starting out with a little bit of the drinl in the cup. Also I would suggest getting a cup with your LO's favorite character on it. My DD loves Elmo, so I bought her an Elmo cup and plate. She just loves it, and gets so excited about drinking from "Eldo" (Elmo)
    Livv066

Answer by Livv066 at 10:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• in the tub is great practice and so is outside w/ water in a cup.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:48 PM on May. 31, 2011

• coordination is a big key in this. get different sized containers together and a few small plastic cups. Put water in the biggest one. (do this outside!) show her how to scoop water and pour it in to the others. Before long, she will get thirsty and you will catch her "sneaking" drinks from her cup.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:13 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would just keep putting the regular cup in front of her. Eventually she will do it.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I was going to say straws. Maybe get a silly straw to keep it interesting.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 5:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2011