Why is she acting so strange ??

Lexi (my daughter) has two teachers in her room at daycare. One of them she loves to death. The other, if she comes near her, or looks at her, she starts screaming and crying and doesn't wanna stay. Lately Lexi has been acting way diff when I pick her up from daycare. She seems kind of distant and angry. I have a feeling something is wrong, but i don't know what to do, and I can't ask her because she's only 1 1/2. There has to be a reason why she is so afraid of that woman and why she's acting so weird. She doesn't do this with anyone else. Any ideas of what to do ?? Also, I talked to the other teacher (the one Lexi likes) about it and she says she has noticed Lexis fear of the other woman as well. So she said she would make more of an effort to be the one who takes her from me in the mornings. That's a good idea, but not really good enuff. If someones being mean to my baby, I'll kill them. What do I do now ?

Mrs.Harris138

Asked by Mrs.Harris138 at 10:03 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Speak to whoever is in charge of the daycare and to other parents if possible. Find out if it's only your daughter that acts this way towards the other woman or if there are other children who dislike her as well. It's very odd for your daughter to be acting this way without a reason which leads me to believe this woman is giving your daughter reason to be afraid of her and I wouldn't stop until until the woman is either moved to handle another class or fired entirely.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:13 PM on May. 31, 2011

• does the other teacher have an accent, say spanish, philipino, ect? some children are scared of people with different accents. or maybe she's just getting a bad vibe from her. is the other teacher always in there with them? if so, then she should notice if there is something going wrong...talk to the director about it if you have to. do they have a security video? if so, you can request to watch it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Pull her from the daycare! There is always a reason why LOs act the way they do towards people. Can you reqeust not having the one she doesn't like deal with her at all?
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 10:10 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Make an unannounced visit and observe what goes on. I would pull my child out of the daycare. I agree with the above poster on that.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• how long has your DD been with these teachers? And has one been with her longer than the other? also your DD might be one who needs one daytime primary caregiver. In that case I would look into a licensed in-home daycare for her(look for one that has been in it a few yrs, new providers don't always stay in and you want someone you can rely on). I have been a helper for my mom in her in home daycare and I have been a teacher at the best daycare center in town( I am now a SAHM). Some kids thrive on the action of a center. But some like the calm and stability of an in home.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• in the end listen to your gut! if you feel it's this teacher than address that. Mom instincts are there for a reason, to help you with stuff like this.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• She has had the same two teachers for over a year now. She liked them both in the beginning, but now she is so afraid to be anywhere near the woman. I don't want to jump to conclusions and say she's abusing my daughter, but something is definitely wrong. It breaks my heart to think someone could be being mean to her and maybe she thinks I know about it. I dont know what to do. The other woman notices also, so maybe I will speak to the director tomorrow. My daughter is a happy girl, she plays with everyone. To see the way she's been lately is tearing me apart inside.
    Mrs.Harris138

Comment by Mrs.Harris138 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Honestly, if you're not comfortable and have this concern AT ALL, I think it would be worth it to change providers.

Do drop ins, speak directly with the other staff member and owner (if it is not the same person) about your concerns, and do what you need to do to make sure your baby is safe. At 1 1/2 they cant tell you what is wrong.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:16 PM on May. 31, 2011

• another thing, see if the teacher is pregnant. if she's having a girl, that could be it. when i got pregnant with my son i was working at a daycare, and all the boys, except for one anyway, didn't come near me like they used to. they used to love on me...till i got pregnant lol. all my coworkers swore i was having a boy, just because of that reason, and sure enough, it was.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:20 PM on May. 31, 2011

• If something doesn't feel right must be because something is really going on. I would switch day cares. I don't believe you are getting the whole truth. Don't expect one teacher tells you about the other teacher. They worked together so they will try as much as possible to cover one for the other.
    Anonymous