I have a 3 week old son who will be a month on wensday is it a good idea to start reading to him now or is it to early

mommy2be22321

Asked by mommy2be22321 at 10:12 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's never too early :) he won't have much attention for it, but it wouldn't hurt to do little stories. maybe start with little mother goose rhymes
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You can start whenever you want to. I am sure just the sound of your voice would be soothing to him.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 10:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It's never too early, at 3 weeks they can't really focus on the pictures but it's never too early!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 10:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I read books while I was pregnant. I had a hard life during those years and I wanted the baby to have some happy time.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 10:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Read away girl!! That baby loves the sound oof your voice..and cool stories ;)
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I started reading to my son the day I brought him home from the hospital. Its best to start when they are babies like you are doing. When my son was little I just made sure to exaggerate my tones when I was reading to help keep their attention. By the time he was 6-7 months old he was looking at the pages more and getting more interested. I picked out about 10 books and read those same books all the time. My son is now 14 months and he knows every word to these books and knows exactally when to turn the page. He has a big tote of books in our living room and he is constantly picking out books and bringing them to me to read.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:24 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Early reading increases literacy! Read read read. It doesn't matter what you read right now. And interact with him during the story so he knows you are doing it for him.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:24 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The baby loves your voice, and learns from it all the time, so read, talk, sing all you want. For books, look for things with really bright and contrasting colors. Things that are black and white stripes or shapes could be good, and also big colored shapes on a white background, etc. Baby can't focus on much now but he'll start being able to see that there is something interesting to focus on. Or read your favorite stories from childhood. Enjoy this special time with your little one. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:24 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I agree that it is never too early to read to a child. I used to read my children the newspaper as I nursed them in the morning. And the older ones got stories and the baby nursed. It was great for everyone.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:38 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Read whatever you want to him, it's the bond, the voice, the habit that is forming, etc. We read to my son the day we brought him home, which was his second day alive.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:49 PM on May. 31, 2011