How can i get my baby to sleep longer at night?

my youngest girl will be nine months in june and she only sleeps like two hours at a time and then she is awake. when she wakes up she doesn't want any more to drink just for me to hold her. so when i pick her up she goes back to sleep on my shoulder and then i put her down and she is good for a couple more hours. i am running out of energy getting up that much at night and i have a two year old as well so our day normal begins at 7:30 am. help

neanuts

Asked by neanuts at 10:16 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You HAVE to stop picking her up!! Go in an place your hand on her for a few minutes, maybe play some soft music.... she needs to learn to fall asleep on her own. You may have to do this for a while so her gets the hint. Right now she has you trained to pick her up vs you having her trained to fall back asleep on her own!! We used the "Fisher-Price Rainforest Waterfall Peek-a-Boo Soother" for music at bed time. Our kids would wake up an hit the button, watch it for a few minutes and fall back asleep... it was a life saver!!

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Rainforest-Waterfall-Peek-a-Boo-Soother/dp/B000JIMVV4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1306894952&sr=8-6

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:24 PM on May. 31, 2011

• thank you for your response and yes i do realize she has me trained, with my husband working shift work i needed to do that so he could sleep. our house just isn't big enough for our family anymore as it is just a two bedroom. but i will defintely try that and i really do appreciate you taking the time to answer
    neanuts

Comment by neanuts (original poster) at 10:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

• how old is your baby
    yanezjana

Answer by yanezjana at 11:04 PM on May. 31, 2011

• she will be 9 months in june. i should have started something awhile ago.
    neanuts

Comment by neanuts (original poster) at 11:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i always feed my babies rice ceral mixed wit there milk and apple sauce i give them a good bath get them dressed warm and give them there bottle of that and they sleep all nite my baby is 4 months old and has slept all nite scense he was a month r 2 but i start feeding them that as soon as i bring them home
    yanezjana

Answer by yanezjana at 11:18 PM on May. 31, 2011

• ya i wanted to put her on rice cereal but she refuses to eat it. i had my older daughter on rice cereal at two months of age. It actually wasn't until a month ago that she would actually eat some solids. she was breast fed and now she is on a bottle and it hasn't made a difference. you are very lucky both of my girls never slept through the night. my oldest actually never started sleeping through the night till she was 15 or 16 months
    neanuts

Comment by neanuts (original poster) at 11:23 PM on May. 31, 2011

• try mixing the rice ceral wit apple sauce r the kind of fruit she likes wit her milk stara out kind of runny and give it to her in her bottle just make hole in nipple a lil bigger and then make it a lil thicker and dont forget the warm bath then feed her and try kepping her up as much as u can during the day dont let her sleep to late in the morn. time i hope things get better for u i only had one of my kids to do that and she is 9 but also has adhd
    yanezjana

Answer by yanezjana at 11:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I am by no means an expert. But I've noticed that if I swaddle my two month old he'll sleep nearly twice as long as when I don't swaddle him. I guess it's because he doesn't wake himself up from wiggling. Could it work for a 9 month old?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2011