How to ask for work off??

I am a nanny for a couple. They have 3 kids one I don't watch 17 the others are 2, and 3. I have been keeping them for 4 months now. When I first started watching them she told me it would be 3 days a week including 2 saturdays a month. Well I have my schedule for June and I am working 5 weekend days. She said well that should be okay since you don't have them any the month of May on the weekends. Well I had asked her if there was anyway on the 18th that she could let me go a little early (she just goes to school and studies on the weekend). She said yes! (Its my nephews and neices bday). Well now I just found out that I could go on a FREE beach trip with my childs grandparents the last week in july only problem is I am on call the 26th (I will only go in if the dad gets called in) that is a sunday I am off the other days they are going to the beach. Is it to much to ask for that day off???? and how should I go about doing it and asking since I have already asked to get off early on the 18th?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• Call her and let her know that you have planned a vacation with your family and let her know that she will need to find alternate childcare for the kids while you are gone. You have a life outside of being a nanny and she cant expect you to be at her every beckon call when she needs you. She should understand.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I agree with Amberlovesher, just be sure to give plenty of notice, don't wait until the last minute.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I agree, go ahead and asked for that day off. Just like how you put it...it just came up and you would like to go along.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Definitely just ask. If it's at the end of July that is nearly two months away so you are giving plenty of notice. If she has no back up and really needs you would it be possible to return from your trip a day or two early? If she has a problem with it you could always do that as a back up plan. But just because you are taking off early one day doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to ask for another day off. If you don't have much else on the horizon, one and a half days off over the summer seems more than reasonable. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:38 PM on May. 31, 2011

• its suppose to say the end of june...sorry. Thanks for all the feedback makes me feel a little better about asking for a day off. The only thing is I am their only sitter. I found them on sittercity I don't think they could get anyone else to keep them. The mother would just have to not study that day. She is going to school to be an anesthesiologist so its a lot of studying and work....but its a sunday I need off and its a 50/50 chance i wouldn't even have to work that day so I would hate to miss a trip on a 50/50 shot i WOULD have to work
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:46 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Well your just asking to let off a little early on the one day, so you haven't technically asked for days off. Just tell them you need the time off.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2011