I feel like a bad mother...I have a 3 1/2 year old boy who tries my patience & he just doesnt listen! until I get really upset, scream & sometimes I just throw things out of frustration (not at him) & I feel so bad what he must think & dont want him to think thats the way to act

anyone else out there that feels...felt that way? Like u dont want to be around your own child ? How terriable is that? I'm so worried he feels this : ( how can I change or keep my cool? Thanks everyone

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i know exactly how you are feeling, my two year old is the exact same way. she even talks back what i do is calmly put her in her bedroom and i walk away once i feel i have cooled off a bit then i come back and talk to her. they know exactly how to make you that mad.
    neanuts

Answer by neanuts at 11:10 PM on May. 31, 2011

• when you feel that way walk away. go into the bathroom and breath. get a cold wash rag and put on ur face. things will get better
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 10:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would try and find a mother's group. Finding others in your position to talk to about problems etc. gives you another outlet. And you see that you are not alone. Life is a little easier when you are not alone.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:51 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Ok discipline doesnt included screaming and yelling. I have ABA therapy. My son is autistic. Ive learn three steps that do work. 1. Tell him ur command. 2 tell him again with a hand jesture. If he does obey by three then go get him and put him in time out. One min. Per age. If hes 3 then three minutes. After that learn to ignore his tantrums. He knows yellung an d cryig annoy u. Ignore and try the time outs. But u must follow through. Alsi great tips from Super Nanny.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 12:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You need to stop that behavior immediately. It's normal to feel frustrated but simply walk away and take a few minutes to breath. You are the adult, after all? Don't act like a child having a hissy fit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• yeah you gotta stop that or he is going to get a million times worse
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 10:51 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Parenting classes, anger management and time for yourself.. LO's can very well try your patience and this will happen until they are grown for the most part.. Sometimes not as bad as right now and other times worse than he is acting right now.. Would you behave this way if others were watching you?? I think not, most don't. So just like that, think before you act. Also remember he is a toddler, still learning and growing. Things will happen but a stressed mommy overreacts to minor things. Get some time to yourself, have a friend or family member watch him, hire a babysitter if need be but take time for yourself..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My little girl is very trying on my nerves, mainly because my husband never helps out. I walk away, close the door to the bedroom or bathroom and do my best to collect myself and after taking several deep breaths, I just start fresh. It is tough, but it has to get better. Good luck.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Everybody needs a break every now and then. But you have to realize that screaming and yelling, while feeling like you're doing something, are actually counterproductive. Try things like time outs and taking away privileges such as tv time or outside time.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2011