WTH sunscreen!

OMG we spent 4 hours at the pool today. I decided I was NOT getting burnt this time. So I applied 30spf before we left, when we got there and at all 3 adult swims. I am fried! I thought maybe the sunscreen was expired but the kids are fine... a little oink in the cheeks from rubbing but really okay with only one reapply. WTH?

Ps I am stark white. lol My entire family is.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 10:54 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Health

• it has to do with the pigments in your skin. some people just can't handle the sun and sunscreen will not help. you need to stay out of the sun. if you really want to try one more time, the active ingredient in the very best sunscreens is zinc oxide. you can buy a tube of pure zinc oxide at the drug store. you can rub it on by itself or ad it to a moisturizer but that is the best skin protection you could possibly get
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I typically fry as well. In the past I have used as many as 2 different sunscreens applied over top of each other and done well (Bull frog sport and a regular). This year I used my DD's Aveeno baby and didn't burn and we were out for a total of 4 hours with 1 reapply.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:31 PM on May. 31, 2011

• yeah, if your really fair skinned you have to stay on top of that more than others. I always make fun of my brother in law because he's so white and burns so easy that my sister buys him Waterbabies sun screen, spf 60 or something lol
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You are supposed to reapply it every 60 minutes if you are in the pool or doing sports, and that is assuming it is water proof. The bottle should say water proof or not. If it doesnt then once you get in the water it comes off.

Answer by gemgem at 8:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I have the same problem when I first get out in the sun I get burnt, peel and then tan the rest of the time I use Aveeno Continuous Protection SPF 50 Spray or Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous SPF 30 Spray or Banana Boat Baby SPF 50 Lotion(yes I use it on myself also); it is no laughing matter when you are fair skinned and burn real easy and people shouldn't laugh at others when they have this issue. Make sure they say UVA & UVB Sunblock Lotion

I have found with me the higher the SPF the better it works for me. I use it on my boys also because they are the same way. Another thing you may want to try is just go out in the sun for about 15 minutes to half an hour a day when it first starts getting warmer and then gradually increase the time and see if that helps with you getting burnt. Also if you are going to be near water for a long period of time as you said then you will want to reapply every half hour at least.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• another one we use is Coppertone Sport with SPF 70+
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2011