North Dakota

My husband has applied for a job in North Dakota and most likely getting it so I started looking for homes for rent and omg I cannot find anything, are there any moms from North dakota? is there a website for homes or anything???

anfisasmommy

Asked by anfisasmommy at 10:55 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• I live in Williston, I'm guessing the job is in Dickinson, Williston, or Minot (or one of the smaller surrounding towns). I'll be honest with you, waiting lists for apartments (if they're still taking any) are over a year long. Due to the boom there is a massive housing shortage and if you are lucky enough to find a home or apartment expect the price to be high. I haven't seen a 2 bedroom place for under $1,300 since I've moved up here. If you're looking at 3 bedrooms expect to be paying anywhere for $2-4,000. We actually lived in a hotel (DH was transferred here so his company was willing to house us - this is not the norm) for the first few months we were up here and I know of families living in campers. But at this point most men are leaving their families behind, there's nowhere for them to live. PM me if you have any questions!
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:02 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Also - if it's in the Williston area you will want to check out:

www.theshopperinc.net (classified ads)
    www.willistonherald.com

Minot:

http://www.minotdailynews.com/

Dickinson:

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/

During the summer people will rent RV's for over $1,000 a month and it is costing us about $650 a month in groceries just to feed our family of 3. Gas is about $4/gallon, cost of living is HIGH here.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:04 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It is in Williston....
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 11:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• hmmm I know the company suggested living in Montana maybe I will just look into it there!
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 11:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You can look at the Sidney Herald (http://www.sidneyherald.com/), Fairview doesn't have a paper.

Montana will be similar in pricing, and they're also going through a shortage because everyone who can't find housing here is looking there. The other problem with Montana is that in the oilfield (I'm assuming that's where he's going to be working) they want their employees accessible on short notice and in the winter there will be days where he cannot get into Williston. I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but realistically there is literally nowhere to live here. I know people who are living out of their cars and in the summer people will live in tents.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Omg thats nuts maybe I will see if he can be transfered to another oilfield they said they had ones in San diego and one somewhere in texas but we are from montana I was just going to relocate to billings! or Miles city...
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 11:16 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You can try, there's a lot of money being made up here. Some companies do give housing allowances or provide housing too. I know Halliburton houses employees and sometimes their families and Baker Hughes offers a $1500 a month housing allowance.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:22 PM on May. 31, 2011

• yeah they were giving us a housing allowence but means nothing if I cannot find a place lol Uh and I was so excited not so much now!
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 11:25 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Sorry! :( We've considered actually having DD and I move to somewhere like Billings though and leave DH here, he'd come home on his days off. For what we're paying here we could get twice the space in Billings.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 8:28 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• yes, We talked about it all night billings is a little over 4 hours away very doable so we will be going to billings instead :) We have always lived in Montana or Oregon, cant imagine going to the san diego or texas oil fields!
    anfisasmommy

Comment by anfisasmommy (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2011