Anyone cut down on TV time that your children watch? I think mine watch to much I have a 20 month old and 4 yr old....It's hard to go out everyday so while I clean they are usually watching TV & playing at the same time....I feel without the telivision I woudn't be able to get things done...any advice? I feel guilty they watch way to much

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 11:02 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids watch PBS Kids while they play if we are inside at home in the mornings so I can get household stuff done...and as a result, my two year old knows all of his letters, numbers, colors, and shapes and my four year old can use words like crescendo, hypothesis, exclaim, biased, etc in sentences, and knows what they mean. But, we also read books, do projects, and spend just as much time outside--at a park, a playground, the beach, etc and in bad weather, we go to a playground at the mall or a playplace or the playgroup at a local gymnastics gym. Honestly, I think TV gets a bad rap because of what people let their kids watch and how much of it they watch, without other stimulation and play.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Since my kids are rarely even sitting still while watching the tv I have started just playing music. We have Pandora through our blue ray player and wifi network. I set them up a channel using the kids artist Justin Roberts. I also have an thumb drive filled with children's music I can play. Sometimes I play some of my music but they enjoy theirs. They do play dough, play with toys, color or just dance in the living room while it is on. If you are interested in kids music PM me and I will give you some names and generas.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• We don't let my 3.5 yo watch tv or movies at all. She's an only child, but has no problems finding creative stuff to do on her own. Kids have great imaginations and will use them over being bored.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i agree. i would never get anything done. its a life saver sometimes. but alot of times its just there in the background. in the morning when i get ready or do something. but she usually runs back and forth. just turn it off. they wont miss it. they wouldn;t know the difference. maybe the 4yr old but truthfully i love tv and she learns so much from it now so i feel less guilty because its kind of educational in a way. oh if you want something really fun...water. mine absolutely loves playing with water. just put a towel underneath where they are and put out some plastic cups. its a lifesaver.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:21 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My 3 yo watches about 2 hours worth a day. She is usually playing and not paying attention to it most of the time. We no longer allow toys in the living room and if she is playing in her room the tv goes off.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• U do let them watch like 30 min movies. Veggie tales. Or educational ones. I dont think tjats bad
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 12:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My 4year old gets so bored he just starts running back & forth, jumping I guess at this age they need to get out more...
    sissaymay

Comment by sissaymay (original poster) at 11:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I did cut down on TV time for my kids. My older child was 3 1/2 & 4 while I was pregnant the second time. It was a rough pregnancy & I ended up running a video full of "Little Bear" episodes & another I'd recorded of "Mister Rogers" episodes (and a couple of "Oswald" DVDs) for long periods, using TV way more than I ever had. We stepped this down after that certain extenuating period, and I actually had the TV off by the time her brothers were toddlers (twins.) Then when they hit two, they saw some TV and really were into it (my husband showed them an episode of "Curious George," of all things.) I introduced Little Bear & Mister Rogers, and then started using it more (so that I could "get away," often on the computer) & they were asking for it a lot & watching a lot. To me, it was too much. I finally decided to cut it out, & just stopped the TV. They asked LOTS, at first. It has gone very well, though. It's been months, now.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:20 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• CONT
    So as for "advice," I can describe how I approached it. (My sons are 2 1/2 & my daughter is in school.) First of all, I know that if I tend to resist them (if I'm fearing they will be "too demanding" & I won't be able to get anything done, but really WANT to get something done/have time to myself, etc.), it inspires counter-resistance and they appear to be "demanding." This is a fear-based cycle, and it starts with me/my fear. (Usually fear of scarcity, that there won't be "enough" of whatever...time, resources, "me.") Their neediness or stepped-up demands is really just fear triggered by my resisting them, which threatens unavailability. So I know that BEING AVAILABLE up-front is the key element in setting up a dynamic in which there IS enough of everything & people are relaxed & flexible. When they feel calm & secure like that, they are self-directed & delightful. So it starts with front-loading attention & quality time
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:29 AM on Jun. 2, 2011

• CONT
    and for me, it's generally best first thing in the morning. So if we were home, I'd set my expectation to start the day front-loading them with attention (I'd think of it as face time.) It was as simple as BEING available & knowing that I planned to read a decent stack of books to them, & that I'd be THERE, not thinking about when I was going to slip away. I just acknowledged to myself (our computer is upstairs) that I wasn't going to try to "get away & get online" or be thinking about the tasks that "had" to get done. This was the same approach I'd taken months earlier (before we'd turned on the TV for them at all) when I was feeling like I "never could get anything done" & that they were pulling at me all the time..I decided it was a symptom of a push-pull that started with me (not just a "problem with the kids," but a symptom, their reaction to a relationship dynamic) & the change had to come from me, with "face time."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2011