Does your little one count in two languages?

just out of curousity. i just started to practice with my dd counting to ten in spanish. and today she said the next number in spanish. it surprised me. she has been doing it in english but this is the first time she knew the number that followed. she is 2yrs old. anyone else little one do this?

i come from bilingual family so its important for her to know two languages.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 11:08 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes my 2 year old can count and say a few other words in spanish, we speak English but my dh loves to talk in Spanish so she is learning from him.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Besides English he can count to ten in Chinese & Spanish.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Mine is 3.5 and can count to ?? in English and to about 13 in Spanish. She can count to 3 in Mandarin. We are not bilingual. She picked it up form Dora and Kia-Lan then we fostered it. I wish I were bilingual!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• yeah she watches dora and kia-lan. she always say hello in chinese now. lol cool. yeah its a great thing. she does speak other words but it just funny how they pick it up so quickly. and she does the signing sometimes on nick jr which i have learned in the past so i might start that with her too. i love to foster her interest now before its too late and she loses interest.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 11:16 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes, actually 3!
    We all speak english, my mother and her side speak spanish and my younger brother speaks french (and im trying to learn with her). Knowing 2 languages will never be a bad thing, especially in this world!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My 2 year old an count to 18 in enlish and to 10 in spanish
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 12:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yes! I blame Dora.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Mine can count in English and Keresan.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We are also a bilingual family. My husband came from Amsterdam, so he can speak Eniglish, Welsh, some french and spanish, and Dutch, which he spoke most at home. Our children all know English and Dutch. They're 2-16 years old. And all but our youngest know how to count to about 15 in spanish. We're working on our 2 year old right now.
    KileighR

Answer by KileighR at 10:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My dd1 is 2 1/2 and she can count to 15 in both english and spanish. DH is mexican so that helps lol. and she knows her colors in both languages too but she cant remember pink in spanish (color de rosas) lol. too long i guess. and she watches dora constantly :P she likes diego now too. (recently discovered) she is fairly bilingual
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 8:14 AM on Jun. 2, 2011