Eye color heredity?

I have green eyes and my boyfriend has blue eyes. we just had a baby and even though her eyes are still the newborn blue (which looks closer to slate gray to me) I think she looks like she could possibly have brown eyes. My mother has blue eyes and I think my father has hazel eyes and I am not sure about his parents but is it possible for this baby to end up with brown eyes?
I was really hoping at least one of my children would end up with my green eyes and so far 1 brown eyed (His dad was ethnic) and 3 blue eyed children
Oh and her hair is light brown as well same color mine is now

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 11:20 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the only guarantees in eye color is that two blues make only blue. Other than that is is complex genetics. DH has hazel brown eyes I a have hazel green both my kids re grey/blue!? Eye color can change and keep changing up to about 5 years though generally before age 2 but there is still a chance!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:23 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Both my parents have brown eyes and I have a blue that can go from violet to slate. My sister's are hazel.

Hubby's are brown and my son's came out blue.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• well, if i remember correctly from my biology class. two blue eye parents can't have a brown eye child because blue eyes is not the domient trait in the eye color. however two brown eye parents can have a blue eye child. i think that is how it goes. however it depends on what is the domient trait. i think if each parent has the blue eye trait then blue eyes are possible with the brown eye parent.(1 out of 4 children can be blue eyes) but you said hazel so that is more a light brown so that might be the eventual eye color. i thought mine was going to have grey blue eyes but nope she has brown eyes.

you never know she might. congrats on the new little one!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• There could always be a recessive gene floating around somewhere that could pop out. My Aunts kids have brown eyes, her and her husband have blue eyes. You never can tell what's in the genetics until I comes out.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:42 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Brown eyes are a dominant trait. Blue eyes are a recessive trait. After that it get complicated, FAST. I have blue/green/gray eyes (it changes) and my husband has brown eyes. Our son has my eye color, our daughter has Daddy's brown eyes.

Article 1, Article 2, Article 3

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:43 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think just about anything is possible. DH and I both have green eyes, but DD has blue :(

Not that blue is bad (her's is a very deep blue), but I was really hoping for green.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html

That is a fun site I found to play with..
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 1:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yeah I think its looking like its a real toss up between whatever we have (Daddy and mommy) and whatever our parents had. percentages are fun! LOL
    SaturnsMom

Comment by SaturnsMom (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2011