Iud opinions?

we are looking into the iud as a method of long term birth control. has anyone had any experience with this?? complications and side effects? opinions in general...??

hnaused2010

Asked by hnaused2010 at 11:40 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Health

• I have Mirena.
    Pros:
    Never Worry about birth control
    Rarely have a period
    Haven't gotten pregnant again (score)
    Cons:
    Decreased sexual interest (this could be personal)
    Lots of bleeding after getting Mirena inserted

I never experienced any weight gain, which could also be considered a plus. I think it's a good option if you are not planning on reproducing again anytime soon!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 11:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I had the copper tip one for a year. I had a bad week of cramping after insertion, but after that it was easy to forget about. I can't take hormones, so this was a great alternative for me. Once it was removed, I had no problems getting pregnant.

My OB found fibroids during my c-section and did not recommend putting another one in. That was my biggest disappointment.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i have mirena and it kills me..i have cramps all the time i randomly spot bleed, i dont want to have sex and when i do it hurts if i move the wrong way i can feel it scratching me, i cant seem to lose my baby weight no matter what i have acne now i have never had it before. i hate it but it is up to you.
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I had a copper IUD for about a year. I also can not use any hormones and for about the first 6 months, this IUD was perfect. The only problem I had was heavier and slightly more painful periods. However, after about 6 months I began to have random, shooting pains in my pelvic area and unbearable pain during intercourse. My gyno kept saying it couldn't be the IUD and had me go to my primary care doctor instead. Once we finally removed the IUD, the symptoms went away. I'm very sensititve though, so I don't think this is common.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I wear a ParaGard too, I've had one since 1988 and I swear by it. I'm a smoker, so the non-hormonal was the better choice for me.
    Shell1960

Answer by Shell1960 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2011