HELP! Separation Anxiety is making me nuts.

My almost 9 month old daughter cries everytime I put her down. She seriously wants to ride around on my hip ALL day long. If she is in her exersaucer and daddy is watching her, the minute she sees me she starts screaming and crying huge crocodile tears. I literally can not get anything done around the house. If I'm holding her and I put her in between my legs to sit on the floor she cries. She wants me holding her 24/7. I honestly have to sneak around her because if she sees me she cries. How do I help her get past this stage?

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 11:48 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had that problem too with our fifth child, you have to let her cry it out. She needs to learn a bit of independence even at this early age.
    BrennanGracie

Answer by BrennanGracie at 11:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• How long do you let her cry it out? I've tried that but she just gets so worked up and doesn't stop.
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 11:51 PM on May. 31, 2011

• play with her while still in the room but do not hold her when she cries. this way she knows you are still there. then go to another name but still talk to her so she knows you are still around. i read that some place. this might ease the transition. its not going to be easy but it will get easier as the time goes by. i meant for mommy not for baby. its harder on mommy then baby sometimes. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• oops i did not mean go to another name...lol...go to another room
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• well you could try baby steps with that like leave her where she can see you and talk to her as you clean.. like say look momma is folding clothes and show her as you do it and sit by her so she knows your not leaving her for long.. I think once she sees your not abandoning her and just a room away she will start to get more confident and be less clingy.. even try music or like an educational tv program like sesame street or backyardagins, things like that..
    BabydollJenni

Answer by BabydollJenni at 12:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I put my daughter in her highchair and frolick around the kichen to make her laugh. She sees that I'm not holding her, but we're playing and I'm still there. Sometimes I'll leave the room to get something or put clothes in the bedroom and I call to her so she knows I'm still in the house. When I come back there's lots of kisses and giggling and so far it's been working okay. She's seven months old.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 8:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2011