Reddish brown colostrom?

So, when I first discovered I was producing colostrum (at about 5 months), I would always squeeze my nipples to make it come out, to see if I was still producing it. I did it a lot, and I'm actually surprised I didn't make myself bleed sometimes.

I'm now 8 months pregnant, and I haven't really expressed the colostrum out much at all for probably about 2 months ish. Well, I did just a couple of minutes ago, and a little bit came out one of the little holes reddish brown. All the other little holes were whiteish, or yellowish clearish...ish. I'm just wondering if thats a bad thing or not. I looked it up on google and I couldn't find anything, so, I came on here to ask.

monstersmommy20

Asked by monstersmommy20 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• From cracked nipples.. are you stimulating them too much? Or not using lotion?
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 12:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would think Irritated or clogged milk duct??? I'd just put warm rags on it for a while, massage them, drink lots of fluids, and not do that. I know nipple stimulation can trigger labor. At the end of mine I would try to pump very lightly and it would bring on some contractions (didn't work BTW) =)
    LyvConMom

Answer by LyvConMom at 12:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I use lotion on them, and they aren't cracked, its coming from inside. I drink a gallon of water a day, so fluids aren't really the problem. No nipple stimulation today, or yesterday, or the day before that for that matter. I haven't been trying to get anything out for a while, and then I try, just to see if I'm still producing, just to get a little out. and it was reddish brown.
    monstersmommy20

Comment by monstersmommy20 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• ask your doctor..
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• My colostrum was pink just after Baby was born. I attributed it to blood in a duct, and it cleared up in a few days. Possibly you have a bit of blood in one of your ducts. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless there is pain involved...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2011