What are some steps to teach my son how to be potty trained?

He is scared of the toilet and seems hesitant. He understands when he is going but i cant seem to get him to want to do it. I even ask him if he wants to sit on the toilet and he says no.

AllN1

Asked by AllN1 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give him some treats like candy or stickers or something. everytime he goes. tell him before he goes to the potty that if he goes he gets a surprise or something.
    hismommy6509

Answer by hismommy6509 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• First of all, boys take longer than girls and he will go when he is ready :) But there are plenty of things you can do to help him along :) My son was really nervous too, so I made flushing funny. Every time someone would flush I would start laughing and saying "listen to that funny sound!" It got him interested and showed him I wasn't scared, so he shouldn't be. My son is obsessed with toy cars and they are about a dollar, so I started by putting a brand new one still in the package on the back of the potty and let him notice it every day. I told him once he peed in the potty, he could open it. I didn't push it and eventually he caved and gave it a try. I cheered for him and laughed when he flushed and opened the car for him. We did that a few times and switched to mnm's. Good luck!
    MommyManyHats

Answer by MommyManyHats at 12:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• WOW!! Thank you so much for the help!! I am going to try that. He loves cars so I will give it a shot!! =)
    AllN1

Comment by AllN1 (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Try throwing cheerioes in the toilet and have him aim fo them. Worked on all of my cousins. 2 weeks should do the trick...
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 11:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I heard of the cheerio idea! I like that! I will def try that! Thank you!!!
    AllN1

Comment by AllN1 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011