Beauty queen Katya Koren stoned to death by Muslims for being in pageant.

Full article HERE.

"A would-be teen beauty queen was stoned to death after her participation in a Ukranian pageant reportedly infuriated local Muslim youths.

Katya Koren, 19, was targeted by three fellow teens who said her seventh-place finish in the beauty contest was a violation of Muslim laws, according to British newspaper reports.

One of the suspects, identified as 16-year-old Bihal Gaziev, told authorities that he had no regrets about the stoning because the dark-haired Koren "violated the laws of Sharia."

Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, but does anyone know if there are laws of the land (?) that over ride "Sharia law"? Are there any laws where the Islam religion is dominant, that can protect against this sort of thing happening to women? 

How do you feel about this?  I've heard some say that these barbaric practices happen because of the religions youth, would you agree?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, but does anyone know if there are laws of the land (?) that over ride "Sharia law"?

Yes. Unless they are in a country that voluntarily adopts Sharia Law as Civil Law (Ukraine is not one of them), they are committing a crime. That's why the article refers to them as "suspects". In most of the civilized world, civil law trumps religious law, especially if it involves religious law causing harm to another against their will. Funny how some people drag their heels on that when it's THEIR religious law, but are all gung ho about prosecuting those who practice that of another.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I am not sure I get the connection between this group showing violence and Christian torturing children? This just makes two wrongs. Pointing the wrong one doesn't make this any less violent. why bring up one heinous crime to offset another?
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 7:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• "I am not sure I get the connection between this group showing violence and Christian torturing children? This just makes two wrongs. Pointing the wrong one doesn't make this any less violent. why bring up one heinous crime to offset another?"

There are two sides of the coin. The vast majority of Muslims are pleasant, peaceful people- yet the christian community has gone excessively far out of their way to portray the few extremists as the norm.
    Flip the coin, looking at the history of christianity and it's not pretty... neither is the extremist example today.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:57 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I understand that. You can do a history search on several religions( not just Christian or Islam) and find a not so pretty moments but that doesn't explain the connection with THIS article. But oh well I am going to eat pancakes with my husband. Most couples do date night we do date breakfast. Its cheaper   hehe

drinking

vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 8:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• NP hit the nail on the head regarding civil vs religious law. What was done was and is considered crime, I simply wish that the punishment would fit accordingly.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Every religion has people who do wrong.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Your first comment regarding Muslims/Islam has absolutely nothing to do with NP. You know damned well that is exactly what I was referring to, not your distaste for NP.
    By changing your stance to cover your ass, you compromise your own integrity. It's sad.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• There are two sides of the coin. The vast majority of Muslims are pleasant, peaceful people- yet the christian community has gone excessively far out of their way to portray the few extremists as the norm.
    ----------------------------------------

The Christian community??? Well thank you Obby for telling me how I and all my Christian friends "really" view Muslims. We didn't know that. I'm going to have to inform my preacher so he can slip into the next message. Now let me go tell my Muslim friends I'm not allowed to play with them anymore because I was told that as a Christian I have to view them as terrorists.

Now to the question- That is a terrible tragedy! That poor girl did not deserve to die and I hope her killers face justice.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I do not believe the behavior to be linked to religions but I do find the using (misusing- I should say) of religion as an excuse to be tiring- as others have pointed out- its just as wrong for Muslims to use it as an excuse as it is for Christians or Pagans- People hiding behind the religion does not make the religion bad-it means the people are bad-
    I grew up in an area where the Pagan Motorcycle gang is quite violent- they claim its part of their religion- I have a feeling its just an excuse to be a criminal-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Sure why not. I haven't seen it yet. And how wonderful of you to ASSume I was talking about the religion as a whole. I meant the GROUP of boys. If I meant to make a point about the Muslim part, I would have stated so.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:07 AM on Jun. 1, 2011