Vacation ideas please

We would like to take our second big family trip within a year from today's date. Our first trip was to Oahu, HI in September of last year, although we loved it there we want to visit another place. We would like to keep the trip cost within $3500 for the hotel, car, and flight. That's not including any spending money while we are there. I figure we will be there a week or so, where should we go?

Have you been to these places you might suggest?

Is there something about that location I might not like?

It will be myself, my SO and our 3 yr old dd. Thanks

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 1:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Travel

• I get motion sick very easily and take Bonine every night when I am on a cruise. There are also patches you can get from a doctor to wear behind your ear that seem to work well.

St. John USVI is a wonderful place to go. You fly into St. Thomas and take the ferry over to St. John. The island is mostly a national park and there are many beaches where you can swim and snorkle. If you want more action you can stay on St. Thomas and visit St. John.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Lots of the National Parks are close together, so it'd be nice to combine a few... Maybe Yellowstone Park and Teton in the summer or any of the Parks in souther Utah in the fall?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:07 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I highly recommend cruising! We love it and they have great kids clubs and activities!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 1:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Oh I forgot to mention, NO CRUISES!!! My SO has the most ridiculous motion sickness lol so we have decided to stay away from them to keep the possibility of him ruining our trip with being sick the whole time.

But damn I would love to do one!!
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Hawaii is tough to top, this was our first trip and by far my most favorite. We did Playa Del Carmen Mexico and this was a really pretty and fun trip but a lot of people everywhere! The next year we did Sedona, AZ, very pretty and interesting, this year we did Colorado and loved it, we hiked, saw the Garden of the Gods, were supposed to go to a Rockies game but got rained out etc. You could do any of these trips for 3500. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• my husband is from belize n thats where we are going for our vacation....it so beautiful n not a bad price we actually found cheap airfare too which we thought was going to break us n there r a ton of resorts and private beach houses
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You've been on those big ships and SO got sick? I'm surprised, becuase those big ships have very good motion stablizers.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• What do you like to do on vacation? Do you prefer a "relax, refresh, enjoy the view" approach, or a "get out, get moving, don't sit still" approach?

There's nothing wrong with either (and after two years of the latter I would dearly love a former, but it is hard with kids!!!), but it makes a difference for suggestions...
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• We like to do really check out the area, we ask locals what they do and if it sparks our interest we will try it out. We do alot of big touristy things but also alot of locals stuff even if it means a drive or whatever. Whatever can be done with our 3 yr old we will do basically. We stop and take naps if we absolutely need them but usually we are on the go. I was thinking of Costa rica or something but I like the locations you guys are mentioning. Keep them coming.

My SO takes Dramamine, bonnie, and the sea bands and depending on what we are doing he will still eventually get motion sickness. He comes from a long line of motion sickness in his family. Him being a passenger in the car sometimes causes him to yack.
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2011