What do I need to know about shopping for a carseat?

So i was doing some research but i am totally stumped. :( Can any one help me out?

LeightonsMom924

Asked by LeightonsMom924 at 2:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out this group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739

You'll find educated answers in there and lots of moms who want to help. Some are even Child Passenger Safety Technicians.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Research as much as possible.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Be careful with the size of the buckle that is in between the childs legs. Make sure your baby fits into it good before you get it and has room to grow. When my daughter was little she had really chubby thighs and I went out and bought her a $90 carseat that I only used a short time because her legs got too chubby to buckle her in and it would hurt her. The buckle on that one was shaped kind of like a rounded triangle, the one I had to use was a square one, it was smaller and did not push into her legs. I ended up selling the $90 seat for $5 at a yard sale. Not cool!
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 4:21 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Car seats don't always fit the weights they say...only certain seats fit small babies, only certain seats fit tall babies or larger weight babies.
    For an infant seat you want a 30-35lbs seat, you want a seat that can be installed without a base if needed, you want one that comes with padding because you can not add them safely, you want a seat that adjusts from the front not from behidn the seat as far as tightness.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011