When you are on Cafemom and Facebook at work. You have uncompleted jobs. Are you stealing?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 4:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I do not get on at work. My boss monitors everything we look at. Unless you are using either for work purposes, then yes, you are stealing time.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I currently work the night audit shift at a hotel, so in an 8 hour shift there is really only about 3 hours of work for me to do (and not all at the same time). If I weren't on here I'd surely fall asleep & then I'd be in real trouble! I don't think I am stealing. If there is work to be done though and people are wasting their time playing games or doing whatever then I think that is wrong.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 4:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I've got a professional position. Not only do I use the internet at work for personal stuff, but I frequently use my internet at home for work. I think the time balances. Also, as my work is never technically "done" (I'm a scientist), I'm not sure how I would use that as a metric. The hospital gets a good 50 to 60 hours of productivity out of me per week, it just might not all happen at my desk. They aren't complaining about my internet usage as long as I'm making bench-marks in the lab, which includes them receiving over-head on my funded grants.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Shareleann, thanks for saving me all that typing. I was going to say the same thing.
    Some people have down time. Some bosses know that. Not everyone is hiding their internet use, and no, we're not stealing.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 5:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The internet isn't allowed where I used to work, I don't think it's stealing as such, but I think you should deffo finish your work before doing anything like that.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 5:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I know a lot of gfs that have stopped fb because they got caught and they were banned from being on fb during work hours. Personally it is not fair when people can not find jobs and you are on cafe mom or fb while at your job. So not fair except to the lady that works the night shift. I give you a lot of credit! I would of been sleeping too .........
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 6:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• @Syphon - my employers are fully aware of how I spend my night. I was told "you'll get bored, so bring something to do" So on any given night, I read a book, knit a blanket, play on the web, watch tv, watch movies. It's all the same.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 6:44 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• No because I am on my phone
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Sharleann you do not need to justify yourself. As long as your employers are ok with it you do not need to explain to anyone what you do at work.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 6:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Do you actually believe this or are you justifying it to yourself?
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 4:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2011