I found out today, that some kids with ADHD apply for SSI and get it. How can this be? There are so many kids diagnosed with ADHD.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 4:51 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just because an individual has an ADHD diagnosis does not automatically qualify them for SSI benefits. It has to be an extreme case, one in which the individual simply cannot function on a daily basis, and even then, there is no guarantee that the case will be approved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I believe the children have to have more than just ADHD going on. I going to try to get it for my son, and if I remember right that is what the website said.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 5:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• To qualify for SSI, you have to have a doctor backing up your inability to function or be employed...
    If you question someones claim, question the doctor. He's the one that's really screwing the system!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I don't think that ADHD alone qualifies a person. These rules vary from state to state too. DD has Medicaid because of her ADHD diagnosis. It's helped us afford the help she needs like social skills classes and her medication. Our co-pay with insurance for her medication was over $200 for 90 days of meds.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It does depend on how severe it is. Your doctor may have answers. I'm sure that he would know cus' he probably has seen it all the time.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Last I heard in MI you can indeed get SSI for ADHD, it is a long process, and I really don't know how I feel about all of this.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011