Teething! Please help!

My 5 month old is in terrible pain with his gums, everything I've tried works onloy for 20 - 30 mins, I've used Bonjela on his gums which worked instantly, but wore off quick, but cannot be used for 3 hours, I've tried Calpol which he spat out! And all his teething toys have been in the fridge but he chews them, and still continues to scream. I'm trying to rock him to sleep so he can 'Sleep it off' - I really don't know what else I can do to make him more comfortable :( he's proper sobbing with the pain :(

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 5:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use a baby wash cloth, wet and chilled in the freezer (cold, but not hard) & wrap it around my finger. It's a little more gentle than the plastic teethers. I have also used cold carrot and celery sticks (but my babies were a little older). You can also make chamomille tea and soak the wash cloth in it then rub it on the baby's gums. It had a calming effect on my LO's.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I am not sure if they still have teething tablets there, I heard they were taken off the shelf, they worked well for my daughter. You can give panadol but it doesnt help as well as Motrin does, but I believe for Motrin baby has to be 6mths.....however check the weight guidelines on Motrin if he meets the weight requirements Dr's normally are ok with that, maybe check with your Dr first, as Motrin helps with the inflamation. Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:50 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I would try an Amber teething necklace...it has worked wonders for me!
    ambergrace612

Answer by ambergrace612 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Thanks ladies, will try the wash cloth idea :) And I forgot I have baby tea in the cupboard, will have to make him some to see if that helps soothe.
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 8:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2011