How can i get my baby to sleep longer at night?

my boy will be three months in june and he hate sleeping at night, he sleeps during the day like four hours at a time and then he is awake. when he wakes up hedoesn't want any more to drink just for playing. i am running out of energy getting up that much at night and our day normal begins at 7:00am. help

Lanloon142

Asked by Lanloon142 at 5:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used to co-slept with my baby until 3 months, and i made sure he ate enough lunch time...which at that age will be 2 lunch time...i hope this will help
    3pippings

Answer by 3pippings at 5:57 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I'm afraid to say it's still very early days, mind you we got more sleep when I stopped breastfeeding, I'm not for one minute saying that YOU should stop, (if you are) but our baby was hungry every hour at one point so we introduced formula as well as breast milk which improved things, I then decided not to continue breast feeding as I felt it was unfair to me and the baby to continue as he was always hungry. We then started him on formula specialy designed for hungrier babies which helped. We have a set routinue of bath, bottle bed no matter what, so when he's having his bath he knows it's almost bed time, and he started to sleep 5-6 hours at about 3 months :) Hope this helped, good luck!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• thx for your replies
    but i already use formula milk for feeding, and iam using the routine schudle everyday, after bathing he falls asleep for 10 or 20 min (i tried not o make him asleep nut it's uselss). and then he wakes up and doesn't sleep before 4 or 5 am. and i should wake up at 7:00am everfy
    Lanloon142

Comment by Lanloon142 (original poster) at 6:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• how long a periods is he sleeping at night? If he is not wanting to eat I would just put him back to bed and let him sooth himself to sleep, and let him have a little whinge about it, when you go into his room do you try to keep the light off, dont talk to him or have eye contact etc, so he isnt getting any stimulation from you.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• dear princess
    usually he sleeps like 4 to 5 hrs during the day, then he stil awake till 4 or 5 am, and there is one night he slept at 7 am.
    or in another word, he sleeps from 11am till 2 or 3 pm. and after that he still awake, but with taking a nap for not more than 1 hr all the time.
    till now he still sleeps in my bedroom but on his own bed. i turn off the light and put a sleepy music, so he plays alone on his bed for a while, and then he starts crying only to be with him at same room (not to hold him),. just feeling that we are with him at the same room makes himm relax.
    Lanloon142

Comment by Lanloon142 (original poster) at 7:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I hate to say it .. but my daughter was a terrible sleeper day and night .. For two years she slept around 20 mins in 24 hours !! We were demented! She did have bad bad colic etc .. and she needed to be with me all the time. Either just suckling or dozing. If I moved .. she wakened. She is 31 now .. and still is an insomniac! [I think she was made that way - even in my tum once she started to move, she didn't stop, day or night the whole time ! None of this .. 'hm.. I hope the baby is alright as it hasn't kicked for 4 hours lol!]

I think some babies just ARE that way and there is little to do with it but keep on trying ... the darkened but not dark room, laying them down and patting them etc ... Just do NOT try the Crying it Out method .. it is cruel and dangerous. It raises the cortisol in the brain [NOT good] and also crying is communicating - you might not know what it means, but parents have to learn! Good luck
    TealRose1

Answer by TealRose1 at 8:20 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• It sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up which is very common. During the day make sure he is in a well lit room, not a room that is dark. The light will help start conditioning him that it is day time. At night make sure the room is as dark as it can be and do not turn on any lights even when he is awake. Do not talk or interact any more than absolutely necessary. He will transition but only on his own schedule. You will get to sleep normally again someday. hug and GL!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:03 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• When mine were that little I used to wake them up at least every 3 hours during the day (I know it's hard to wake them up - try changing the diaper, undressing them, etc) and then let them sleep as long as they would at night, they learned to get in their long sleeps at night.

Answer by missanc at 2:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• You can wake him more in the daytime. That's really about it. They will not sleep longer till THEY are ready. If he's sleeping four hours in the daytime and you don't have an older child to watch, then you sleep too. Don't go doing housework or anything like that. It'll wait.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:06 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Ex-baby RN here:
    They are unable, most of them, to really entertain themselves much until about 5-6 mo. In the meantime, do what you can to keep him awake during day hours & enc sleep @ night (as the others have said) & definitely take a nap if he's napping! We all need a good 4-5 hr block of sleep to really benefit--doesn't matter what time of day or night!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 10:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2011