Breastfeeding whilst ill... help!

hi, im breastfeeding my baby shell be 4weeks old on friday and i have what i think is a chest infection i keep coughing and my throat and chest hurt.. my baby has started coughing now too, should i carry on breastfeedin or stay away from her if so what if she catches it, please help, thanks to anyone who can give advice :D x

nasreen19

Asked by nasreen19 at 5:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the hospital and ask to speak with a lactation consultant.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:41 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I think you should see a dr and then see what dr says. I think I just kept nursing.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:29 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• KEEP BREASTFEEDING!!!! It is the BEST thing you can do for her. Don't stop!!! Your body is fighting what you have and the breastmilk will give your daughter antibodies to fight it in her body too! Besides she has already been exposed to you! :) My babies often got whatever I had, but breastfeeding is WONDERFUL!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Keep on breastfeeding. You'll pass antibodies to your nursling to prevent her cold from getting too bad. Stay well hydrated and you'll both do OK.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yes, as others have said....Keep Breastfeeding! That is the best thing for baby and you. To ease your mind call your doctor for further info and instruction. Breastfeeding can help with your babies immunity system and for further illnesses if and when they come. I breastfed my two older sons and currently breastfeeding my 7 1/2 month old son as well and they never got sick as infants not even a slight fever, runny nose or cough. And now they may get a little cold every few years if that. I also had my last small cold over 7 years ago. Again, this is my experience but it is highly recommended to keep breastfeeding even thru illnesses. Now there are some illnesses that are severe that is is not recommended to breastfeed thru but your doctor will let you know what and when they would be. Also, make sure you drink lots of water and rest too...
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 10:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Keep breastfeeding... it's the best thing you can do while you are sick... you body produces antibodies and passes them to the baby... your antibodies will help you baby fight off the infection.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• ok well i think ill just keep breastfeeding if it protects her too :-D, thank you everyone for takin your time to give me advice its much apreciated.. x
    nasreen19

Comment by nasreen19 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Yes, continue nursing. She's already been exposed, and your milk has the antibodies to your specific illness, which will pass to her when she nurses. She may get sick, she may not, she may get less sick then she would have had you not nursed, in any case, nursing her is still best and safe and recommended. Feel better mama!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2011