Homeschooling moms:

How did you deal with people saying "Well, at least you can always put him back in school later on"? If I thought school would be better for my child, that's where he would be!

MedicMommy

Asked by MedicMommy at 6:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, I can't answer since I never homeschooled (one of my biggest regrets - if I could go back and do it, I would) so I am here to say good for you! Honestly, when I say that, I get strange comments too! I feel that many are on autopilot and don't really question our educational system in this country. Their kids reach a certain age and they are off to school, that's it. Anything outside that norm, even in this day and age, is considered alternative or weird, in their eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• "Well, at least you can always put him back in school later on"?

Absolutely, and if things don't work out at public school you can always homeschool! We love the options & flexibility homeschooling affords us and it so great that we have so many choices when it comes to educating our children.
    mommamiaria

Answer by mommamiaria at 7:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Honestly, I just ignore them. Unless it's my MIL then I just state to her, yet again, that our children will not ever be enrolled in public school.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:37 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Clearly we are not debating whether we believe in home schooling or public school, but for arguments sake I believe in the social interaction experience that can only be gained by throwing my kids into the public school system. That being said, I am in complete support of your right to choose for your child. My best advice to you is... If you don't want to defend your choices than don't share them.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 7:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• we are homeschooling ds until we cann enroll him into a decent school. the elementry school that we are at right now isnt very good.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2011